1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copying A DVD from Drive to Drive.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Jimmy2e, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Jimmy2e

Jimmy2e Guest

Ok. Here we go. i purchased a HP DVD 840E External dvd burner recently and im having trouble. The burner works fantastic its just that my computer has very little memory left. So what i need to do is burn a DVD and then delete the VIDEO_TS files off my computer to make room for the next ones. But this is where i am having problems, when a friend of mine needs a favor for me to burn him a DVD i use Copy Entire Disc in Nero Express. But it takes forever.. like 20 mins for one burn. While if i burn a ISO image with alcohol 120% it takes 10 mins. See what happens id the Used Read Buffer on my burner will go from 100% then down to 0% and Back to A hundred and then o again all the way through the burn. I know that if it fluctuates during the burning process thats basically the burn speeds so its increasing the time. Is there anyway i could increase my Used Read Buffer, or a program i could use or something? I mean because i shut down every program (including explorer when i burn the dvd to dvd and its still givign me problems.) Thankyou!

2. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

Jimmy2e,
    It sounds like the computer can not keep up w/ the burner. Try slowing the burn speed way down to see if that helps. Make sure all of the cables are in good working order and are connected properly. Also make sure you are not in PIO Mode as that really will slow you down. How much ram do you have on the computer and what computer processor are you using?

3. dizzyduck

dizzyduck Regular member

Also, check to see what programs you are running in the background. If you have too many programs running your buffer will fluctuate as you were talking about. Also, never burn your discs at maximum. Me personally, I never burn over 4x, but wouldn't recommend burning anything over 8x. Goof luck!

4. Jimmy2e

Jimmy2e Guest

I currently have a... AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+ with 256MB of ram.
    So i know that is bad but if it is.. what do i need to buy to speed my computer up?

5. Zapattack

Zapattack Member

Memory!!
    You are lucky Windows even runs with 256. Add 256 (or a 512 stick if your machine supports that combination). Do you have a lot of spare hard drive space for the temporary buffer files? A defrag wouldn't hurt, too. The CPU speed is not great, but adequate.

6. Jimmy2e

Jimmy2e Guest

i have 20 gigs.

7. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

i been burn on 256ram for a while now. only have a 37gb i feel your pain jimmy. i rip in 20-33min, encode 5-20 min ,burn 30-55mins.if i check the enhanced boxs 1.5hr toburn... all depend on lenght of movies,extras,ect

ps the other day i added some ram. now i am at 384.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
  8. Jimmy2e

Jimmy2e Guest

i am now up two 2 gigs of RAM ;D