1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copying a VHS tape

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by AmiNutall, Jul 22, 2010.

1. AmiNutall

AmiNutall Regular member

Hi guys. Its a while since I copied some movies from my old camera, and now I want to copy some footage from my VHS tapes.
    Some of the tapes are just home movies (no, not that type !), one has programs off the TV , and I i have one pre-recorded tape that I would like to copy as well.
    Will I be able to copy the tape with the progs Ive copied off the TV ,and also will I be able to copy the pre-recorded tape or will it be scrambled ? (it was made by the BBC in the 80's). Im only making a DVD for my own use.

Cheers in advance

2. attar

attar Senior member

Macrovision might be on the BBC tape.
    In North America, a DVD recorder would probably honour the protection, whereas a capture card would ignore it.
    I backed up my protected tapes to DVD recorder using a 20 year old variant of this.

http://www.checkhere22.com/stabilizer/

Purists would have the vapours, but it was good enough for me.

3. AmiNutall

AmiNutall Regular member

thanks Attar.

I shouldve mentioned that I do have a firewire port . Can I use that in any way to capture the footage from my VHS recorder ?

Because I dont have that much footage to copy, Im a bit loathe to spend too much on this.
    PC World seem to stock a couple of external devices, (Roxio) but these seem to get slated in most reviews.
    They do stock some pci cards, which i assume is what I need ? Im not at home so cant check if I have room for it anyway ? Also , i have a pesky virus on my pc , which i cant get rid of. :-(

4. attar

attar Senior member

5. xolx

xolx Member

In any case if VHS is protected you will have to deal with video stabilizer.
    My favorite is Grex: http://www.xdimax.com/grex/grex.html
    It can be used as well for capturing from cable box and DVD Player.