1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copying Dvd that are Copy Protected

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by rlschu, Jan 1, 2004.

1. rlschu

rlschu Guest

I just got a new DVD Burner for xmas that has an 80meg hard drive that will allow you to burn dvd to hard disk drive that are not copy protected, but everytime I put a dvd into the compartment to copy to hard drive, I get a message advising the dvd can not be copied.

Is there a way to over come this?

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Even if you could Copy the Movie on your Hard drive you still coulc not Burn it to a DVD-R because Reatil DVD"s are DVD9 which can hold up to 9gb of Video and a regular DVD-/+R can only hold 4.3gb, so what you need is a Program that can rip the DVD and Break the Copy protection and then Take out any unwanted Streams Like the Other Language Tracks and Subtitles and Maybe the Special Features so that it will be Small enough to put on a Regular DVD-r, but even then it still might not be small enough ,so the Movie would need to be compressed down so it fits on the DVD-R...You should download "DVD-Shrink" it will do all of this for you and it is free..Go here :
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm .........Cheers

3. rlschu

rlschu Guest

Thanks for the reply, but the DVD Burner is a stand alone and not a computer. I can not download to the DVD Burner. I would have to do this on the computer and would defeat the purpose of buying the seperate burner. SO I guess industry will not let you do this yet, although companies like Best Buy hold this product out to be the one that can copy a dvd to hard drive and then back to a dvd write.

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

1. When you buy stuff from Best Buy you gotta watch out
    2. That HAVE standalone dvd burners??? (geez Ive been out of it)

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

I think he Means a DVD Recorder Not a Standalone Burner....

6. Praetor

Maybe.... do they have standalone burners? I wouldnt think so..... :S

7. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

The only way to burn a movie is to use a second DVD player and a video image stabilizer. Of course you will lose the Dolby digital sound.

With the price of computer DVD-RW drives these days if you are wanting to make back ups of a lot of DVD's it's worth the investment.

Praetor- what's wrong with Best Buy? I live in Canada and they are just coming in here. Is there something I should know?

8. Praetor

I live in Canada too! Nothing in particular with Best Buy. Its just (i would like to think) that I know a good deal about technie kinda stuff and their pricing is in a lot of cases, noticeably higher than what you could get if you did a bit of research here and there -- the price of convenience perhaps.

My parents seem to have fallen in love with best buy and have made some really silly purchases based mostly on careful placement of products as well as salespeople marketing I would imagine.... its a pain in the arse to have to go deal with it. So nothing really in particular aside from me not liking their pricing and sales staff :p

9. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

I see. So in other words, they are a lot like Future Shop.

I guess with you and I being techies it doesn't affect us the same as it would somebody else.

I just wish I had your problem; everybody I know talks to me before buying anything electronic. Sometimes it can be a pain. But at least I saved my parents $1000 on their TV. Salesman had talked them into getting an XBR Wega. He said they'd be sorry if they bought anything less. My parents are so low tech they'd never see a difference. Got them a entry level Sony and they love it.

10. Praetor

I dunno if the comparison to FS is accurate -- i dont know which is worse hehe (at least here in Ontario). With Best Buy I dont encounter the sale people much and I find that the written ads/descriptions are really misleading and such (i.e., their product descriptions can be very deceptive at times). With futureshop this isnt such an issue but the sales people can be a pain the arse.

11. Minion

Minion Senior member

I Can"t stand the Future Shop, I feel there adds are Misleading, and they allways sell the Crappy Cheap Compaq PC"s...They allways Have this stuff in there Flyers for really cheap But when you get there it turns out that there is some Crummy Mail In Rebate which makes it sound like it is a Good deal untill 4 months Passes and you still don"t get the rebate and when you Contact them they say that it isn"t there Problem...I have about $350 out in Rebates that still haven"t arrived and Probably will not arrive and there isn"t much you can do about it...They allways try to sell you these Extended Warrenties which they try there Best to sell you but when there is a problem they try there best to get out of the Warrrenty...I guess I have just had some Bad Luck with Future Shop......Cheers

12. Praetor

Ive had some bad luck with them too but they are probably one of the best sources for the 'stupid little things' i buy (gamepads, keyboards, mice and before that stupid Canadian cdtax, i bought blanks from them.... now its just too damn expensive.