1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copying DVD9 to 2 DVD5s

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by trs1982, Feb 25, 2005.

1. trs1982

trs1982 Member

Hi, I'm relatively new to DVD burning (have an NEC 3500AG), though I have managed to get a grip of the basics.

I'm using a combination of DVD Decryptor, DVD Shrink and Nero to back-up my DVD movies on 4.7Gb DVD5 media. However, I've come across one particular DVD which will not compress to below 4.7Gb to fit on one DVD. There are no features I can really remove to save space (eg Languages) as there is only English on there. I've tried reauthoring aswell to split the DVD to fit onto 2 DVD5s, but neither would play back at all.

Is there a way I can copy this to 2 DVD5s and ensure playback? It's a 6 episode comedy series so I could theoretically split it into 2 three's with menus etc.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

2. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

vurbal just helped me through this in a thread in the video authoring forum:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/162639

See his instructions on using dvd shrink. Worked for me!

So you might want to compare what he says with what you did (assuming you used dvd shrink to reauthor to two dvd's).

3. trs1982

trs1982 Member

Thanks for the tip. However I'd prefer it with a menu, like I said it's a 6-part comedy series (Big Train) so I want to be able to choose particular episodes or sketches. I don't think the basic drag-and-drop authoring allows that.

4. bobiroc

bobiroc Member

Its not Free Software, But SlySoft's AnyDVD and CLoneDVD have never done me wrong. Well worth the investment. Clone DVD allows you to remove extra audio streams to help save space.

5. sox2k4

sox2k4 Member

for me in this situation i always use DVD Copy 3 from InterVideo. it requires nothing from you but putting a second DVD in when it is done burning the first. no setup, no nothing - and you get perfectly working menus. there is another thread out there about this....do a search.