1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copying Games To CD-RW

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by funnyfarm, Feb 21, 2004.

1. funnyfarm

funnyfarm Member

Having learned from experience that burning music to CD-RW is not possible - let alone a waste of valuable time - I was wondering if this was also the case for copying PC games etc to CD-RW?

I want to copy my children's games to prevent damage/scratches to the originals, but will my PC be able to install or run the games from CD-RW discs, or am I forced to 'test' them on CD-R's with the risk of making more coasters to go around the house??? Especially as many games include copy protection, which can be hard to crack through on first attempt.

Thanking you in advance for you input.

2. lumbjack

lumbjack Member

hi

i always burn my games to cd-rw's to test if my back-ups are working fine. if so i burn them to cd-r. there are some games that won't work when burned to cd-r (i think it's the securom new 4.x protection that prevents games from running of an cd-rw). to solve thsi problem, you need a program such as clonecd or alcohol 120% which have options called "ignore media type" or something like that. it has always worked for, i never had problems with games burned to cd-rw's. but you clonecd or alcohol 120% has to be running with that option in order to be able to play.

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

1. If the game has (forced) ATIP checking then you cant burn it to a CDRW
    2. CDRWs are more prone to damage :)
    3. CDRs are cheap
    4. The good news is that in most cases, you can burn to CDRW without problems (provided the game is <650MB or you have 700MB rws) :)

4. funnyfarm

funnyfarm Member

"If the game has (forced) ATIP checking then you cant burn it to a CDRW"
    How do I check for this?

5. Praetor

1. Most games dont and there are lists (somewhere) of those that do.
    2. To date I have only encountered two such games (recent ones too, but i cant remember their names). What game were you trying to copy?

6. funnyfarm

funnyfarm Member

I was trying to back up Zeus - Master of Olympus by Impressions Games. It appeared to copy to CD-RW ok, but when it wont start up the game, so something is amiss.

7. Praetor

8. funnyfarm

funnyfarm Member

I burnt a copy to CD-RW using Alchol 120 with SecuROM 4.x and "ignore media type" settings, but it still wont run the game from the CD. I am able to run the game from a virtual drive, but don't want to end up with masses of Gigabytes of game files sitting in virtual drives - I'd much prefer to run them from Cd, albeit slightly slower. Where am I going wrong?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Dying to try it - if I don't die trying![/small]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2004