1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

COPYING MOVIE COLLECTION FROM DVD TO HD 700MB FORMAT

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by megs8888, Jan 8, 2007.

1. megs8888

megs8888 Member

Hi all i am wanting to convert my dvd collection from dvd to hd so i can store all my movies and make my library portable basically, obviously i would like to reduce dvd from 4.7gb to around 700mb, I am aware i may lose a little quality is this possible ?? What programs are best? Is the best program free? I am looking to do this asap thanks for any help

2. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

You're not going to lose a little quality, you're going to lose a lot of quality. You would be compressing your video to 15% of it's original size. In my opinion this is a bad idea.

As for the "portability" issue, how is a hard drive more portable than a DVD disk? Also consider, a single hard drive failure and there goes your movie collection.

If I needed to significantly compress a DVD movie, I'd rip it as a single VOB file with DVD Decrypter then load it into Virtualdubmod and compress it with Xvid. But still, I just don't see the upside for what you're wanting to do. Just my opinion.

3. megs8888

megs8888 Member

Hi thanks for the advice, basically im away alot and dont like taking dvds away all the time as they get scratched so I was trying to look at another way of transporting them, i thought you could put them on hard drive, then i could have my entire collection with me for viewing on my laptop, is there any other way of doing it??? any ideas would be appreciated. I was looking at buying a 1TB HD to store them on and i would have to shrink them due to them being 4.7gb.

4. moonrocks

moonrocks Regular member

If it's just temporary, while you're away, then for sure, copy your DVD's to a large hard drive. I was thinking you wanted to store your DVD's in a compressed format to a hard drive for permanent storage.

If you just want to view them on your Laptop while you're on the road, then that's a whole other thing. A 1 TB hard drive should hold 200 DVD's Are you sure you need to compress them? How big of a collection are you thinking of?

If you need to compress, I'd still recommend XviD.