1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

copying old albums to mp3 on a hd

Discussion in 'Audio' started by galen13, Apr 18, 2004.

1. galen13

galen13 Member

I am trying to copy some of my old albums to a harddrive in mp3 format. I have an old version of roxio, 5 platinum. It will do the copy but wont sense the gaps between the songs to separate the tracks. Anyone have any ideas on how to do this with having to manually start and stop the record after each track.

Thanks

2. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

Try ExactAudioCopy (EAC) and lame. You can find a setup guide at afterdawn guides section.

3. jonss

jonss Guest

I've used EAC and it's a great program and I'm wading through my collection of 200+ LP's from the 60's 70's and 80's, so I do lots of this. The program I use now is Steinberg Clean for the transfer as I can rip the whole side as 1 .wav file, clean all the pops and hisses automatically, then split the tracks wherever I want. I use CDex to then convert them to MP3. Now, this may not be acceptable to the absolute purist but I'm very pleased with the results and the speed. Steinberg Clean is now marketed by Pinnacle as Pinnacle Steinberg Clean. A bit of a google should find a trial to download. One other thing, you're really going to appreciate the quality of CD's after listening to these old recordings. Technology has come a long, long way.

4. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

Oops - Since you mentioned roxio in your post I assumed you were talking about CD albums, not vinyl. In case you're talking about vinyl you might want to ask Wilkes ( PM him or post in some related topic in high resolution audio forum) - he's doing professional vinyl ripping.

5. galen13

galen13 Member

I am talking about albums the old vinyl ones roxie 5 has a section to copy and split the albums into tracks, the recording works well but the track splitting doesn't work at all.

6. jvilb

jvilb Member

I copy the whole side onto Hd then convert to MP3 I use Audiograbber but there are many others you can use and then finally I use MP3Audio Scissors to cut the MP3 into individual tracks. Using Scissors you have total control over cutting and one 20 min side with 5 tracks takes less than 5 minutes if you know the songs. When you have your individual tracks delete the large MP3 file and then burn to a CDR You can also choose to keep 2 tracks together if they fade into each other (Santana)
    jvilb

7. galen13

galen13 Member

I picked up a copy of Clean Plus and so far after alittle experimenting all seems to go well.