1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copying VCD with extra files

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by splurge, Dec 6, 2002.

1. splurge

splurge Member

I created a VCD using Ulead's DVD Factory.

I want to create a copy of it, but I want to add additional files so it autoruns on a pc.

I want to keep the menus and scene selection, so I can't just take the dat files a make a new vcd.

I tried quite a few things, including Nero, and ripping the image, but no luck.

Any Ideas?
    thanks

2. hewitsd

hewitsd Member

Splurge - did you find out how to do this?

I have just run in to the same problem - can't work out how to get Nero to burn the VCD properly with some extra file on.

TIA

Dave

3. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

you won't be able to do that and keep all of your menus etc..

4. hewitsd

hewitsd Member

Hi Dela,

....why is that?

Is there some stuff encoded in the VCD data files that records ALL the data on the VCD, even if it has nothing to do with the actual VCD show?

Ulead DVDPS allows you to copy the original picture files used to create the VCD onto the disc - so I thought it would just be a case of writing the stuff out in EXACTLY the same format plus whatever you want to add.

Of course I could be talking garbage seeing as I don't know that much about the format of VCD's!

Still, I'd be interested to know why.

Dave

5. Dela

Well unless ulead allow you to make changes to a cd i wouldn't think it would be possible! What i thought you wanted to do was get a vcd cd and copy the whole thing on the computer, then replace the movie files, which wouldnt work because vcd isnt exactly data cd! But if ulead movie factory allows you to change it, then cool!

;-)

6. hewitsd

hewitsd Member

....yes, but I want to add some stuff of my own as well.

For example, I create the VCD, and DVDPS lets me add the original pics to the VCD (in PICTURES subdir) but I also want to add the DVDPS project file and the sounds that I used in making the VCD.

That way, the VCD also acts as a backup of all the stuff I used to create the VCD in the first place.

So I want to copy the original VCD but add the sound files, project file etc so the new VCD has it all.

Does that make sense?

Dave

7. Dela

I know what you mean and it probably is possible but unfortunately I haven't been faced with this situation yet!

8. hewitsd

hewitsd Member

I just upgraded the firmware on my DVD player so that it can now play miniDVD's - can I overcome this problem more easily using this format?

9. Dela

No not really, mimdvd only gives you about 20mins of movie on an 80 disk

10. splurge

splurge Member

No I still haven't figured out how to do this actually. I kind of gave up. I think there must be a program where you are able to add extra files after creating menus.

If you find a program that allows you to do this post it,.

11. Dela

Try easyvcd, I heard that it might be a possibility with it!

12. hewitsd

hewitsd Member

When you use miniDVD you don't have this problem. You let whatever (DVDPS in my case) create the disc, then just do a copy using nero and you can add whatever you want, and it doesn't affect the slideshow.

Problem is, not many DVD players support this.

I believe that the latest version of DVDPS (V2) lets you create the slideshow and NOT close the disc, so that should also ket you add any files, but I can't guarantee that - haven't got it!

Dave