1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

copying VHS to DVD

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by ffray, Nov 12, 2004.

1. 6kids

6kids Member

I see that eBay has several of the same clarifier up for bid now. Is there a diference which clarifier to buy?
    Six

2. permatex

permatex Regular member

as far as a clarifier is concearnde,i would recommend you go to facetvideo.comand get a plain clarifier.their web site show it as the clarifier for $129.95.these are the pros in this area.as far as cpoying dvd movies i have used dvdxcopy express for about three years there is several programs out there that will do the same thing but i have stayed with dvd express because it works.go to nycssoftwaer.com try the dvdxcopy gold $119.95.this program record the movie to your hard drive then back to your dvd writer to decode and burn dvd.

3. Enaud7462

Enaud7462 Guest

Question: When a VHS movie is copied using the HP DVD Movie Writer dc5000, is it in DVD, VCD or AVI or what. If it is anything other than DVD, can I use NERO RECODE to make it DVD?

4. permatex

permatex Regular member

the hp dc4000'dc5000 movie writers record to dvd+r. my understanding is that dvd+r is the most widely used disk because they are compatable with most dvd players.

5. Adavis

Adavis Member

dvd-r is the most compatible then dvd+r

http://www.digitalfaq.com/othervideo/dvdformats.htm

Oh and Pulsar...if your still around maybe U can explain all this to me...I feel like i'm in radioshack....reckon i'll just stick to my capture card guys - but viva la differance.

6. Enaud7462

Enaud7462 Guest

Thanks guys just did my first movie. However, I do not have any audio. The vcr is an old toshiba with just one white and one yellow port on the rear. Assume the yellow is video and the white is audio. Do I need to invest in another vcr with yellow, white and red jacks on the back.

Help again.

7. Gluhwein

Gluhwein Guest

Be gentle - first posting - You sold me on the HP DVD Movie Writer dc4000 , but before I order one, do I need the "clarifier" if I only intend to copy my old VHS-C home movies to DVD? Is the clarifier used in copying store-bought videos to DVD? And last dumb question (for now), what else will I need to buy? I already have a brand new 16X DVD burner, 768 MB RAM, 2.2 GHZ Celeron and Radeon 9100 128MB video card. Thanks!

8. zman666

zman666 Guest

I just saw the price of the dc5000 on the hp.com website. It was $200 and I believe yioyou can finance it for 6 months with no interest. By thway did anyone bid on one at ebay?

9. permatex

permatex Regular member

a word of advise,check the minimum requirements for the movie writer you are going to get,with the hp dc4000 and 5000 movie writer sufficent hard drive space,memory and 2.0 usb port is a must.1.1 usb port connection for these movie writers is too slow.a new vcr with todays standard three port connections would be a good investment.as far as the clarifier is concearned,if you are going to turn vhs movies you made yourself to using a camcorder you do not need a clarifier,keep in mind if you are going to turn store bought vhs movies into dvd even if you copied the movie the copyright protection will be there and you will need a clarifier.

10. johnhar

johnhar Member

I thought DVD decoders remove Macrovision from the video.

11. permatex

permatex Regular member

dvd decoder does not remove copyright protection from a vhs movie,you need a clarifier.

12. Adavis

Adavis Member

Seems to me You have alot more control over clarity/content using a software dvd-writer - anyone compare the two? - whats the quality like with the standalone/clarifier? - seems if you have to process an active signal, wouldn't be as clean.

13. permatex

permatex Regular member

i have seen no noticable difference in the movie with or without a clarifier,all the clarifier does is remove copyright protection from the video side of the vhs movie as you record.

14. Enaud7462

Enaud7462 Guest

I have ordered a clarifier. However, I have learned there is software that will allow you to duplicate vhs tapes to cd without one. I was given a brand name Pinnacle. Does anyone know anything about this program.

15. RIVO

RIVO Guest

Hi Folks, Just wanted to give my 2 cents. I was having a hard time trying to duplicate copyrighted VHS to DVD. I finally got it to work. Using a external hp dvd writer dc5000 (199.00), and a SIMA CopyThis Digital Video Enhancer Duplicator Model CT-1 (69.00). I backed up a full protected movie in color into a DVD.

16. RIVO

RIVO Guest

Purchase CopyThis! Digital Video Enhancer and Duplicator Model CT-1 made by SIMA for $69.00 US, at FRY's Electronics. Can be purchased at any major electronics store. Maybe bestbuy, Compusa or Radio Shack.
    I backed up another full copy protected VHS. But this time I connected the enhancer in between my vhs player and Digital camcorder. And copied the movie into Hi8 8mm tape and then connected my camcorder with the recorded movie to the external writer, HP dvd dc5000 purchased for 199.00. The result is DVD quality movie. Outstanding.

17. ffray

ffray Member

I just received my VCR (JVC HR-S5902U). I have Dazzle Digital Video Creator 150 that I put on my laptop (P3 256MB memory,30GB HD). I also have an external DVD burner(Plextor PX-712UF). I'd like to connect my VCR (as input)to the laptop and the laptop to the DVD burner to copy VHS to DVD. I was told that the Dazzle software has the capability to copy "protected" VHS tapes. Question..How do hook everything together??

18. ikenchute

ikenchute Member

Please to explain why I need an external DVD burner such as the hp 5000-4000 when I have a dvd burner on my computer.
    I understand that I need the clarifier to copy the vhs tape due to the copy write, but why can’t I just put it on my hd using the clarifier and then burn it to a dvd?
    I have video capture software and the cable to hook up the vcr to the computer and can watch the vhs and need the clarifier to be able to copy them.
    Why do I need an other burner?

19. RIVO

RIVO Guest

You can use any burners that have the inputs for a direct connection with the video enhancer in this case Composite video or s-video. So you can connect the enhancer between the burner and the vhs player or connect it between the burner and the digital camcorder. This way it only uses anywhere between 1.3gig-3gig HD for one DVD multimovie recording vice the huge avi format.

20. ikenchute

ikenchute Member

Well I still don’t understand, I have s-viedo and composit on my computer video card (ati) so getting it there shouldn’t be a problem. Are you saying that the problem is, saving it to a file on the hd (because it’s so large) then sending it to my burner from the hd?