1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copying video tapes to DVD without using my computer

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by wumply, Mar 1, 2004.

1. wumply

wumply Member

Tried to find questions answered here but failed. So if my question has been well-answered, please point me to the answer.

Here's the question:

There are computer-independent units out there that let me connect my vcr directly to the unit, whch then digitizes the video and put it on a DVD. Considering that I currently only have USB 1.1, no copying-digitizing transfer software and no DVD drive in my computer, would this be a recommended way to go? If so, which units would you recommend? (I do have a DVD player for my TV which is where I would watch any DVDs I made froml the videos.

Or would it be more practical to get the DVD drive, the software, the USB 2.0 deal (does that come as a PCI card?) and the cables to connect vcr to my computer?

2. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

I will say this for the last time for newbies looking to do basic video conversion to DVD - GET A F$%^%& DVD RECORDER!!! I've seen the Gateway for below $300, and quite a few of the Phillips and earlier Panasonic models in the $300 range. I imagine you would have to spend at least $300 for the PC upgrades you'll need - big hard drive, video capture card, video software, etc. To the rest of you who fail to read this, tough luck. Suffer with crap like Studio 9 wasting many hours in your side profession as a video producer.

3. wumply

wumply Member

Dogbomb...thanks for your input. I had suspected that your point about the cost of upgrades might be the case! But being totally new to video to DVD, I could use a further bit of clarification. The DVD recorders you speak of...Gateway...Panasonic...I can connect my VCR to them and record my video tapes to a DVD disk? For that is what I want to do. I don't want to record TV programs actively or currently being broadcast...at least at the moment I don't.

Or will have to use my computer as well...Windows XP, 1.7 ghz CPU, 37 free mb of HD space, USB 1.1?

4. Gardener3

Gardener3 Member

Wumply,

I've watched the sales pitch on the Philips DVDR80 at Best Buy, and did a little side research on it. Besides burning a DVD in real time when you hook up an analog camcorder or a VHS player via composite video or a digital camcorder via firewire, it can also edit the tape (don't ask me how it does that). This DVD recorder (approx $400 via internet) and its predecessor, the DVDR75 (on sale now at Best Buy for $399) have had rave reviews for the quality of DVDs they produce, and the simplicity of the process. The DVDR80 has a built in VCRPlus-type feature, and other minor improvements over the DVDR75.

Gardener

5. wumply

wumply Member

Gardener:

Appreciate your post...good to know this. But I wonder if you have any suggestions re similar units that would have as good quality but be, perhaps, more basic and therefore less expensive. I don't want to edit, only copy portions of certain VHS tapes. Or is this as low as I'm likely find...till 6-12 months have passed maybe?

6. wumply

wumply Member

Gardiner: Hello again.

Didn't realize my signature was too long for Afterdawn. It should have ended up "...I would be most appreciative. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

7. wumply

wumply Member

Gardener...a 2nd. Hello, but came across something that could be helpful for you to consider. I read 3 reviews of the Philips DVDR75 and 2 of the DDR80. All were highly negative. They were by users. The reviews were at www.pricegrabber.com; go there and type in "Philips DVDR75" and "DR80" in the searchs box if interested. There will be a "Read reviews" link. (wumply)