1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copyright Protection

Discussion in 'Digital photography' started by dannym, Sep 24, 2010.

1. dannym

dannym Member

Hi all , I have recently got married and have been let down by the photographer , the woman has given me a disc with all my wedding photos which was supposed to be the master copy of the photos but the copy she has sent has watermarks on all the photos and now I cant get hold of her is there any way of removing the watermark from the disc ?

Thanks in advance.
    Danny.

2. keebles

keebles Regular member

Nope(well not easily). Your better off taking her to court and suing her. My cousin had to do this in order to get a good copy of his wedding pictures since the dead beat camera man used a disposable camera to take the pictures after he claimed he had all the proper equipment. My cousin got his money back plus extra for his time that he had wasted with the stupid smuck.

3. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

Actually.. the "master copy" is in reality what the old "approval samples" were.. the photographer retains the copyright to the photos.. read the small print in the contract you signed and you will see that's so.

Professional photographers do this to ensure deadbeats don't just print their own and/or sell them to various media agencies.. Just because you are in a photo doesn't mean the image belongs to you.. unless clearly made public domain creative commons or copyleft by the photographer (or whoever they sell the rights to) they are copyright and rights reserved of the creator not the subject.

You will have a very hard time in court getting anything but a very large legal bill.. you have agreed to terms and conditions. (go on.. check the small print in the contract you signed) If you start printing copies of any but the sample pics the photographer can sue you for copyright infringement.

BUT .. if you have paid for a full set of pictures you can do pretty much what you like with those... just as long as you don't get caught. ;)