1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

COPYxDVD Platinum Problems -- Coaster King

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by GJM, Sep 1, 2004.

1. GJM

GJM Member

Yes, it should say [bold]DVDXCOPY [/bold]

I have recently purchased an external TDK Burner 12x for + format, INDI DVD.

So I have two questions/problems. When I place my DVD into the TDK drive to read it (hoping for a faster read) it gives me the "CSS Encrypted" message. Placing it in my Sony laptop's dvd player (not burner), it reads it fine, but a 141 minute DVD takes about 40 minutes to read-(is the slow read normal?). I don't know why my TDK won't read and the Sony will.

2ND questions is that I burned two + DVDs and all went perfectly (except it was slow as mentioned above). However when I tried to burn the same movie that I successfully burned to + format, in - format, I created a nice coaster. All appeared to work normally during the burn, but after the 30 minutes of burn, when it was closing out the DVD (finalizing), it just kept going, and going, and going,.....
    Finally I hit cancel after about 30 minutes of "finished but finalizing".

Any help, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    GJM

Last edited: Sep 3, 2004
  2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

#1 - Most all DVD burners are locked to a 2X read speed for DVD videos (courtesy of the MPAA) whereas most all ROMs have no such speed restictions.

#2 - What brand/type is the -R media you used? Is your burners firmware up to date?

3. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Do you mean DVDXCopy? If so, why title it different ... you could confuse us and get the wrong info.

Now if you are using XCopy Platinum, what version are you using? Also if you burn faster than 4x, XCopy will give you coasters. You cannot manually control your burns with XCopy, so you have to buy 2.4x media. The reason why 4x media might not work is because, most new burners with updated firmware will burn 4x media at 6x-8x ... which will give you coasters

4. GJM

GJM Member

Yes, I do mean dvdXcopy not copyXdvd. Dyslexia rears her ugly head--again.
    Thanks for the help.
    I'm using MEMOREX DVD+R and DVD-R. The + work beautifully and can be read by every machine I own.
    The - format is giving me the trouble.

5. GJM

GJM Member

[bold] Coaster King No MORE [/bold]

Thank you to everyone that helped me get up and running. As an OLD newbee, your assistance was priceless. Everything is up and running beautifully except one presistent annoyance.

If I use my new TDK Burner as a stand alone unit (in other words, place the DVD to be copied in it) I get the CSS Cyrpt message saying it can't do it.

If I place it in my laptops DVD player, everything is perfect and the TDK (new one) will make my back up just fine. I have tried updating by downloading and runing 123 DVD update, but it didn't help.

Its not a real problem as long as I have two DVDs, but just a little bothersome.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2004
  6. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Hmmm, I'm not sure why you have that problem. Your TDK drive should be able to read/rip. Can you play dvd's through your TDK drive? If you can, you can try to play the source dvd in your TDK drive, with PowerDVD or WinDVD for a minute or two ... start XCopy, let it detect the disc then close down PowerDVD or WinDVD, then try to start the process with XCopy <- this is called unlocking the drive.

But you really should use the dvd-rom to read/rip, because they have a faster ripping speed and it puts less wear on your burner.

Two things:
    1) Is your burner the TDK 1280B External Indi DVD 12x+/8x- Multiformat
    2) Try installing a aspi layer
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/frcaspi.cfm