1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Corrupted files

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Phsico, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Phsico

Phsico Member

I was recently ripping Crank with DVDFab decrypter in file mode. I tried to run DVD shrink on it and got a cyclic redundancy error. Just out of curiosity, I ran FixVTS on the files, but part way in, the computer when funky and began a physical memory dump. When I got the computer running again, the only effect the error had was that when I tried to do anything to the files, I get errors, which leads me to assume that something is corrupted. I mainly just want the main movie. Is there any way to try and recover parts of the DVD? I don't currently have Crank. I could get it back, but I would like to know if recovery is possible for this and future situations.

2. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I'd say easier to redo from the original. Try using RipIt4Me in the 1-Click mode (leave FixVTS checked in Preferences). Once you get the cleaned files, there's no cyclic redundancy problems left. http://www.ripit4me.org

3. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

I'd say get your original disc back from whom you lent it, and rerip it like pacman says with ripit4me.

4. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Garmoon
    Have you become another RI4M convert?

5. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

pacman

not yet, I'm lazy and as long as I can get AnyDVD and NeroRecode to play well together I still use that combo. I am quick to use ripit4me if they don't. Hell 2 months ago I didn't have ripit installed. I do promote it over Anydvd as being a free program.

6. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I guess it's also depends on what we need. I use HD files for RB. What could be easier than 1-Click. I've gotten used to working with HD files and like being able to check them if something goes wrong, which rarely happens anymore. They're there for easy editing for those who like such things. RB has made me lazy as well. With a true encoder, CCE SP, the output looks good on a big screen at high compression. So, I do most things full disc and let the program edit titles and languages from selected settings. I used to use AnyDVD with DVD Decrypter but the compliance problems with the newer copy protections started causing more problems and FixVTS, IFOedit and VobBlanker weren't getting the job done (at least not easily).

7. Phsico

Phsico Member

Beliveve me, I know it would be easier to get the original disk back. I was just curious if it was possible. So that's a no, then?

8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

A provisional "probably not". If the disc is playable, recovery software can sometimes be used. With a program like DVDRemake everything could be edited out except the movie files. But... the PC has to be able to open the DVD to read the files. If the PC won't open the disc to read, i't hopeless.

Did I mention it would be cheaper to buy the DVD than the software? You might want the program(s) if you plan on editing in the future.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2007