1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Corrupted Hard Drive

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by aspire180, Mar 31, 2005.

1. aspire180

aspire180 Regular member

Short synopsis.

I had a 2nd Hard Drive (Western Digital 75 GB 5600 RPM) for my PC (PIII, 500Mhz, 384 MB RAM) that was intermittently not being recognized by XP after a recent move...Occasionally it would appear and then other times completely missing...I took it in to CompUSA and they reattached everything and then boom it was being recognized...This continued for a while and now it is completely being unrecognized coupled with being deemed 'Corrupted'...Turns out the PC manufacturer alerted me that I had been overclocking my machine with too much RAM at one point that may have led to the corrupted drive.

Anyway, now I am trying to figure out how, if possible and economical, to salvage data from the 'corrupted' hard drive...I contacted WD and they gave me a Diagnostic Program to run a check on the Drive and confirmed that it is corrupted.

I have 75 GB of fairly vital data (Mostly music and video files)...I have heard of companies that do data recovery but that it can be a ghost hunt and expensive...Any suggestions other than pitching the data/HD for good?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

can you use ghost to copy info over to another blank drive?? also do copy not cut & paste to other drive