1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Could not open log file for reading-error in pass 2!

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by Quest-es, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Quest-es

Quest-es Member

I'm so new at this I'm dripping green behind the ears. I tried following the step by step instructions in the "Copy your DVD into DivX5 format - Guide for 16:9 anamorphic movies" article on the "Lord of the Rings" DVD. I ripped the "vob" files to HDD using DVDDecrypter instead of SmartRipper. All seemed to be going well in VirtualDub. I was 15 hours into the first pass as I watched with batted breath for the second pass to start then I got this after the first pass was 100% completed and about to start the second pass; "Fatal Error. Could not open log file for reading." I was stuned! My mouth just hung opened in disbelief! Can anyone tell me what I did wrong or what happened there? Better still, can anyone tell me how this can be corrected and how I can pick up on the second pass without having to go through another 15 hours from scratch going over the first pass? Any and all help would be appreciated.

2. VCDjunkie

VCDjunkie Moderator Staff Member

try this.

using virtual dub, open the first pass video.

check file info.. if your audio is already mpeg layer 3, just click audio and have it do direct stream copy.. if not, you may want to use full processing mode and then compression to select mp3 224kb/s 48000hz.

now, click video, make sure full processing mode is on, and then select compression. now select divx 5.0x codec, then click configure.

for variable bitrate mode, select 2-pass, second pass.

for the rest of this, just go back to the guide and start where you left off, basically where it says "The Second Pass"

http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/archive/dvd2divx_anamorphic.cfm

Good Luck!

3. Quest-es

Quest-es Member

VCDjunkie, thanks for the comeback! First pass file info says it's PCM (uncompressed) 44,100Hz, 16 bit,sterio.
    audio compression shows me the closest I've got to mp3 is mpeg layer-3 and it's no where near any of those numbers you give me. It ranges from 8,000Hz-24,000Hz and from 1kb/s-7kb/s. If you're referring to DV-audio NTSC, it only offers from 32,000Hz-48,000Hz sterio at 211kb/s.
    Seems like I may need more codecs huh? If so, where can I get them?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2002
  4. VCDjunkie

silly me, always assuming that everybody already has mp3 encoding already setup and working on their pc's..

I don't know what somebody who is the audio enthusiast might say, but the best that I have found (for free) is dBpowerAMP Music Converter. I would just go to www.download.com and get it.. here: http://download.com.com/3000-2140-10125657.html?tag=lst-0-11

this software does so much, and it will also install the necessary codecs, so why not get valuable software to go with the codec, right?

good luck!

5. Quest-es

Quest-es Member

Wow! Thanks VCDjunkie, I'll most certainly download the proggie and install it. Then, when I get a chance over the weekend, I'll give it another try. I'll let you know how things turned out. One more question that's been haunting me, will the second pass take as long as the first?

6. VCDjunkie

it will probably take just as long.. BTW, did you select 2 pass, first pass for variable bitrate mode the first time?

7. Quest-es

Quest-es Member

Yes VCDjunkie, I did select for 2 passes. As a matter of fact, I was watching the jobs dialog window just when I realized that the first pass was very close to completion at 98% and when it finally went into 100% I was expecting the second pass, which was showing in the window together with the first, to start processing when I got the "Fatal Error"!

8. Quest-es

Quest-es Member

VCDjunkie, Installed dBpowerAMP Music Converter and I still don't see anything larger than 8,000Hz-24,000Hz and from 1kb/s-7kb/s under VirtualDub--->audio--->full processing mode--->compression--->MPEG layer-3. MPEG layer-3 is where I'm suppose to be looking to increase to mp3 224kb/s 48,000hz, correct? Sorry for this fumbling about!

9. VCDjunkie

well.. that software is the only music converting software I have installed, but I have also installed the nimo codec pack.. I suppose that might help.

http://www.divx-digest.com/software/nimo_pack.html

let me know if that does it for you.. happy encoding!