1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

could Vista SP1 be conflicting with Nero?

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by Struth, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Struth

Struth Member

yeah i will do

and thanks again for all your help

2. Struth

Struth Member

Hi Rotary

i havent got round to doing a fresh install yet, but i thought i would let you know that i found a few cheap datawrite CD-RW's that i forgot i had lying around, and decided to try and burn a couple and whaddya know! it worked twice. i then went back to try with ordinary CD-R, and....yeah! thats right, it didn't work.

so i can burn virtually every type of disc except a CD-R. Any thoughts on this development lol?

3. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

wow crazy...

it just tell me your drive is very picky on cdr, what brands have you tried thus far? tried any TY or ritek

4. Struth

Struth Member

5. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hmm cant see any dye code info?

6. Struth

Struth Member

so steer clear then, yeah?
    btw, i downloaded ImgBurn today, and created an image file from .flac files and burn to the CD-RW, and i was also able to burn a DVDISO using ImgBurn. i then tried to do the same with the CD-R discs and they still would not work. this is the 2nd App that will burn everything but the kodak and sony CD-R, and i guess i am leaning more towards the media being the issue now myself. it seems that my drive has now taken a sudden dislike to both the sony & kodak discs, even though i was able to burn many successfull discs of both before.

thanks

Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  7. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

try www.svp.co.uk

very good site! and customer service

8. Struth

Struth Member

Thank You

9. Struth

Struth Member

Just to let you know Rotary, i think i have put an end to the saga lol. i tried an old sony optiarc burner that was in an old system that i had in the loft. it works a charm with the Sony & kodak discs, so i assume that my pioneer burner just took an exception to the media i was using to burn CD-R's.

thanks for all your help, and hopefully this will be the last you will hear from me on this matter lol

10. domie

domie Member

I have never heard such stupidity and ignorance in my entire life. I am a beta tester ( official ) for SP1 and I have installed and uninstalled 7 different builds of it on my own PC with no problem whatsoever. It was finalised ( meaning no more testing or beta versions ) over 4 weeks ago. There are even details on the Microsoft website explaining how to do uninstall and install it - please read it instead of lying and inventing chicken little panic statements.

Furthermore, SP1 was made RTM more than 4 weeks ago ( that means Release To Manufacturer )- SP1 was officially finished on that date - so everyone who bought a new copy of the Vista o/s would have it installed anyway.

Instead of hijacking threads with doom and gloom drama queen scenarios - try reading a little to educate yourself on the subject you are talking such rubbish about and which you evidently know absolutely nothing about. As has already been said in this thread - engage your brain and try to find a gear for it before you open your mouth.

11. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

nice one....

maybe try new brand cdr's or change drive maybe?

good luck.

12. Dunker

Dunker Regular member

Varnull makes a valid point: Service Packs are not immune from bugs or malware anymore than original OS code. That's why vendors release interim patches; if Service Packs were perfect then all we'd have to do is wait for the next Service Pack or OS.

Moreover, malware is a problem be it the OS itself (which Vista is in general and can reasonably be considered) as well as external malware. Remember Sony's XCP or Settec's Alpha? The former is known to interfere with CD-R burning and the latter has been alleged to cause general drive issues.

Of course, I could go onto a tangent as to how problematic Vista is in itself, and how one deserves what they get when buying a largely unproven, crippled OS. Perhaps Varnull was a bit judgmental in assuming it came from an unauthorized source, but that doesn't mean he/she didn't make some valid points.

I do, agree, suggest engaging your brain before speaking. That applies to all of us. Quot Erat Demonstrandum.

With that said, I'm glad the OP found a drive that likes to burn CD-Rs. Changing the burner often works wonders, especially with DVD burners. I have found that a lot of DVD burner manufacturers seem to treat CD burning almost as an afterthought: My LG 4163B being an example of a burner that is somewhat picky about CD-R media (and a piece of junk on various other levels, such that it's been relegated to a reader only!) Given the complex interrelationships of hardware and software, problems like the OP's are bound to come up. One must debug problems carefully, but the OP intimated that this problem really became a problem after the installation of SP1, so it's reasonable to suspect SP1 first and foremost, unless Struth left out key points in his/her original post e.g. a Nero "upgrade" as well.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  13. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

windows basically sucks pants - stat...

we should all learn linux like my very good buddy varnull, who knows 100x what i know about pc's...