1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Counterfitt Windows

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by Altercuno, May 30, 2006.

1. Altercuno

Altercuno Regular member

Hi

No I havn't had chance to try it yet. Don't know what to do - but as this is a tech forum no doubt somebody will come a long soon who will.

2. tranquash

tranquash Regular member

I think you better back-up files, folders and applications you have in your machine and reinstall windows, formatting your HD.

Or talk to microsoft's rep and explain. lol

3. TomMelee

TomMelee Regular member

Couple things.

Download the WGA tool, it'll tell you for positive if it's counterfit. Actually, it'll tell you if that copy has been registered before. Most likely the store bought a reseller pack from a cheap, or unlicensed distributor, who just cloned a buncha cd's.

If it's counterfit you have 2 choices, really at that point. Number 1, call them up and tell them you want it back w/i 24 hours, fixed, plus money back for the hassle, and/or a free upgrade. Be pissed. All they'll do is bypass WGA if you don't record the serial number, google "magical jellybean" to get the keyfinder. If they give the same one back to you w/ WGA bypassed, tell MS, and also sue the store.

Secondly, you can bypass WGA, which is a topic banned by this forum, so I cannot tell you how to do it. It is, however, very, very easy. It was cracked in less than 24 hours, and now there's a ton of tools to fix it.

I don't ever use windows update anyway, because it's dumb. Instead, I go here:
    http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/

and use firefox to get my updates. It's legit, they link you to downloads on the MS site, skipping the ones that you don't need, and you can get them regardless of the status of your WGA.

4. Altercuno

Altercuno Regular member

Thanks for that. This thread gets more and more interesting with plenty of options. I use firefox and didn't know it could download windows updates. As I said its not my pc so I don't want to make things worse by monkeying too much.

5. orb.fl

orb.fl Guest

I won’t talk about bypassing wga either. I think it would be o.k to tell you how to stop the nag ware in your system tray. Go to http://www.sysinternals.com and download Autoruns v8.51.

This utility is a better one then msconfig. Run the program and go to the Winlogon tab. Uncheck wgasystem tray, close the program and reboot. No more nag ware.

This does not circumvent anything. It only stops the call of nag ware at boot. This is a free utility that shows you all the Process and Threads. Just make sure you open Autoruns and not Autorunsc. Autorunsc is a command line user interface.

6. Altercuno

Altercuno Regular member

Thank you for that and to everybody who has been kind enough to post. I ran Spybot today which raised my hopes when it found 6 nasties in the security centre but after it had cleaned them out windows was still saying the software was counterfit.