1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Couple of DCT6412 issues

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by ryan_g, Oct 19, 2005.

1. ryan_g

ryan_g Member

I have had a DCT6412 for a couple of months now and am loving every minute of it. I guess because it's my first DVR and I love being able to record my shows in hi-def. As of late, though, I've noticed a couple of things:

1. If the box is turned off, when I turn it back on, I get a black screen. The guide and menus are available, but no picture or sound. In order to make the picture come back, I have to select a recorded show from my list, play it, the picture comes back. Then I hit exit to get out of the show and my live tv is back as well. Very weird. I suspect I need to reboot the box to get around this, but I was curious if anyone else has come across this as well.

2. Every now and then, while watching a recorded hi-def show, the sound will go out for a few seconds and then come back. I've had one instance of a show having no sound for the entire thing. Anyone had this problem as well?

I realize it's a computer and it's going to have glitches, so I'm willing to overlook them. Especially since I work for a software company. For the most part I'm very happy. Just curious if I'm not alone on these issues.

2. BillSJ

BillSJ Member

I have had a Motorola DCT6412 from Comcast for about 2 months in San Jose. I am on my 2nd unit now. I returned the first one last week for 2 problems: 1) It frooze and would not function at all from the remote or from the front panel controls until unplugged and replugged and 2)audio lapses for 1 to 3 seconds randomly but at least once per hour. This appears to be the same complaint as your number 2 problem. I have not had a repeat of the first problem since they replaced the unit 5 days ago but last night and today I again have had the audio lapses and today freezing video for a few seconds. My first DVR had a serial number series starting with GI1522 and the new one starts with M10533. I have noticed other discussion forums discussing the same or similar problems with the Motorola DCT6412 DVR. I have had a Tivo system for about 4 years with no such problems. When I took the first unit back to Comcast they said there was a heat problem with the Mot DVR. I noticed several other people returning these units while I was at Comcast for just 10 minutes. The new model "DCT6412 III" has a cooling fan mounted in the bottom. This does not appear to fix their design problem. I'm calling Comcast tomorrow to return the second unit.

3. 0jank0

0jank0 Guest

Long time reader - first time poster.

This is an ongoing problem with the DCT6412. The problem is (according to the cable company) that the DVR has a switch that goes between live TV and recorded TV. When turning on the DVR sometimes the DVR randomly "chooses" the wrong option. That is why you can't view live TV without first viewing something you have recorded. By the way, if you don't have anything recorded just hit the record button on the DVR. Record for a few seconds and then stop. Now play what you just recorded and PRESTO you can watch TV again.

4. wbrennan

wbrennan Member

I have a similar audio problem with the DCT6412..... that is I can never get any TV shows in dolby digital 5.1 surround sound mode even though the shows are broadcast in Suround sound. I use a digital audio (optical) connection from the DCT to an receiver/decoder. I know the receiver and cable are ok becaude I can get 5.1 surround sound from my DVD player with no problem on the same input to the receiver. So why Can't I get ss from my TV?
    Any thoughts out there?