1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Couple questions

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by Durandall, May 17, 2007.

1. Durandall

Durandall Member

1) I can't afford an HD DVD player yet. But i want to start collecting the movies. Is it possible to compress an HD DVD movie, to a DVD-R... maybe even a DL? I would think so... since you can compress a DVD-DL to fit on a single layer DVD-R.

2) Do all HD-DVD players, playback in up to 1080p? I always thought it was the TV, or monitor that decided what resolution is displayed... I have a 1080p tv... and I'd like to take advantage of it.

Thanks for reading.

2. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

It's possible to do with the right encoding tools. The main problem is this: If you start to collect the movies now then how will you play them? They will not play on a regular DVD player and will not play on a PC DVD drive. The HD-DVD discs will not be recognized and you'll just get an error message.

With the recent price cuts and Toshiba's $100 off promo I'm sure you'll find a good deal for a player.

Your 1080p TV will play them back as 1080p. The Toshiba HD-A20 and the HD-XA2 can output 1080p thru HDMI. The 1st gen players and the HD-A2 can output up to 1080i but your TV will deinterlace the signal and display it at 1080p

Last edited: May 17, 2007
  3. Durandall

Durandall Member

I appreciate the quick response.

The part near the end, when you got into the TV de-interlacing - that's what confuses me about HD.

So what difference does it make if my dvd player outputs 1080p... will it be sharper? will i be able to tell a difference?

I mean, as opposed to a 1080i signal.. de-interlaced.

4. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

If your TV does a good job deinterlacing the 1080i signal then you most likely won't notice a difference. The thing is some TV's do a better job than others. What model do you have?

5. Durandall

Durandall Member

I have a JVC 52" HD-ILA 1080p.

HD-52FA97

I'm quite in love with it... even though (thanks to the ol' xbox) I've seen at most 720p.

6. diabolos

diabolos Guest

The JVC tvs have great de-interlacers in them but they are not as good as the Reon-vx by Silicon Optix. So if you are going to buy the HD-XA2 then don't think twice about it. If not then go with the HD-A2 ans save some money as the difference will be marginal.

My two cents,
    -Ced

7. Burnasty

Burnasty Regular member

On father's day, the hd-a2 goes on sale. Below $299. Plus, you get 5 free movies.