1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coverting avi to vcd

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by cofused, Jun 8, 2002.

1. cofused

cofused Guest

HELP!!!!!!! I've been trying to convert Kazaa movies(TMDs)to VCDs. Everything is going fine( I am using Nero), but the final product is very "pixelly" and poor video quality. The original files are great on my computer, but poor on my DVD player. I tried converting the TMD avi files to Mpeg1 first with TMPGEnc, but it would not accept the files. The message I kept getting was "cannot load, or unsupported." Now I don't know what to do. The TMDs play great on my computer, just don't convert very cleanly to a disk. Can anyone PLEASE help me. I am pulling my hair out (and I don't have much left)!! Thanks in advance. :):)

2. johnpow

johnpow Member

I have been having the same problem. TMPGEnc will not do the trick; it leaves out either the video or audio. Also, Nero will not do the best job converting AVI's.

What I have found is a "round-about" way to get your files onto disk. Get a copy of Konverter or Blazemp. Use Konverter to reformat the video to MPG, then use TMPGEnc. Set up TMPGEnc to use the MPG file as video only and use the AVI file for sound. Set the quality to what you want then wait on the finished product.

Although it takes a long time you have to remember that TMD files (at least the ones that I have) use a low bit rate and low frame rate. When your DVD player expands the image to the TV screen you will lose some quality.

3. cofused

cofused Guest

Does EZ CD Creator do a better job at converting AVIs that Nero?

P.S. Thanks for the help. I will try it and let you know how it went. :):)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2002
  4. HaLoX

HaLoX Guest

hi, i downloaded the blaze media pro like you suggested but i keep getting a "this file uses an unsupported codec which cannot be converted using this module",what should i do? and if there isnt anything to do then where can i get a copy of konverter? all helps appreciated

5. wonderboy

wonderboy Guest

cofused are your encoded movies coming out as full screen? and make sure you have your divx codecs installed on your computer.. try divx codecs 3.11,4,5.02 these should help I use tmpgenc to convert movies ... on other settings in tmpgenc instead of full screen try center but keep aspect ratio ....if you are getting the message unsupported it means you dont have the right codec.. after you install those codecs get back to me and let me know the result. and no easy cd creator does not do a better job... tmpgenc is the best out there in its price range (lol ,free)

6. cofused

cofused Guest

Wonderboy... great idea. Actually, I was just sitting here trying to figure out how to fix the "blockyness". I noticed that on some other VCDs(acquired from a friend) that the movie was converted in wide screen. Am I wrong, or will this help with the "blockyness"? All of my outputs are full screen. Also, if I am right, how do I get TMPGEnc to convert to widescreen? If TMPGnc does not convert to widescreen, can you recommend anything? Or is that the "center keep aspect ratio"? In the preview, it doesn't look like it will be widescreen. By the way, the Divx codecs did the trick. All I have to do now is try and get rid of the "blockyness". I appreciate any help you, or anyone, can give. Thanks again in advance. :):)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2002
  7. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Look at the TMPGEnc settings in our DivX -> VCD guide (in our article page) -- by setting the aspect to 1:1 /VGA and setting other thingys correctly as well, you should be able to get a widescreen (well, obviously with black borders since VCD can't be anamorphic) VCD out of that.

And if you encounter issues with AC3 audio in DivX's, I added a short FAQ to our VCD/SVCD forum yesterday how to fix this issue.

8. HaLoX

HaLoX Guest

im still getting that error with blaze media pro and i installed divx, i also cant seem to encode any videos with tmpgenc , everytime i try to it dont have any picture..whats up with all this? i need help !!lol , does anyone have aim so we could get this to work?my screename is Bladez75, thanks

9. ryanframe

ryanframe Member

My problem is a movie turning out upside down when it is burned.......everything is perfect but it is upside down

10. dRD

ryanfarm: You don't need to frigging spam every VCD thread in this forum to get your answer -- you have asked it already 10 times, let it be and hope that someone answers to you. No one's gonna answer you if you harrass people by posting useless comments -- and you end up being banned from this forum as well if you continue.

11. Phones

Phones Guest

I have converted the files to mpg. (mpeg) but i can't split them yet don't know how :)

12. dRD

13. Phones

Phones Guest

dRD i have tried this but when it split the file cd 2 and or cd 3 whit DV-tool it get's really wired lots green dots, and bad sound the full mpg file dosen't have this errors only the split one! don't know what to do???

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2002
  14. ryanframe

ryanframe Member

Im Sorry........but know onw seems to be knowledgable enough to know my question...pardon me,do you know?

15. Phones

Phones Guest

you could try other sources like vcdhelper etc. sorry for brining another sit here :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2002
  16. kchesney

kchesney Member

I have the same problem on converting avi to mpeg that is on supported. I tired all what it saids on here. But no luck. Any more help and can someone try to send me that program that is called Konverter. Does that work. All i need is to get my video to mpeg so i can burn it to cdr. Let me know guys.

17. wob

wob Member

Have you installed the Nimo codec pack???

Try installing the pack with all of the codecs (it includes most). This should solve most incompatibility problems with TMPGEnc.

Do a search on google for "Nimo codec pack" and you should find a few download sites.

Regards,

Rob S.

18. caocao

caocao Member

I think Hero Video Convert do the job which I dwonload from download.com. But the file is limitted for sound.

19. stromberg

stromberg Member

Where can I get a copy of Konverter or Blazemp? Post the links where I can get these pieces of software.

20. dRD