1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cpu freezes after on for a while.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by fgreco, Mar 15, 2005.

1. fgreco

fgreco Member

yeah that is what I thought that the fan stops that happends in another computer of mine wich is really old it is a pentium 486 lol.

as of viruses I have cleared all of them I have spyware protection, norton 2005 anti-virus, and macafee fire wall. I know I have norton and macafee but the macafee was free with my msn dsl thing.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

no such thing as pentium 486 as the 486 came out after the 386 but before the pentium 60mhz

3. jaydeeX3

jaydeeX3 Guest

how big and how long have you had your power supply???

4. fgreco

fgreco Member

Yeah I know I ment intel 486. I know about the 386 and the pentium 60.

My power supply I have since I bought the computer wich is about 5 months.

5. Balable

Balable Member

Have you done any tests to see if its the memory doing it?

6. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

fgreco

What I suggest is that you once and for all, post here on this thread the actual Make and model number of your PC. This way anyone can do a search, and show you exactly what your mother board looks like. Also, if your CPU temp is that high, you are close to a max temperature and that is the [bold] probable cause [/bold] of your freeze up. Several things can cause a temperature rise such as a fan that is not performing well, a ton of dust clogging everything, or poor ventilation.

So I ask you again, when can you post here your Make and Model of Computer?

7. Balable

Balable Member

This problem could be anything, but I don't think its the Fan or a "virus", I've been repairing computers for a while now and the only time I came across a computer freezing because of a fan was my own computer back 8 years ago, I think its either 80% hardware except the fan or 20% software. I had many computers freeze up because it was bad memory or the processor decided to crap out but give you hell before it did. If you are getting a good read on your fan and the temp is low then its not the fan, start with the memory first then look at other possibilities.

8. Balable

Balable Member

Another check is try the video card, if you don't have a videocard (might be onboard) then it could be something software, but I can tell you right now, its not the fan doing it

9. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

If this is an “idle temp” and it’s an Intel P4 CPU and its not a “Willamette”, or even several AMD’s then
    All this guessing without knowing what we are dealing with...
    We need the information from your PC, make and model which could give us the possible information needed such as your CPU, etc.

10. ddp

Balable, if you had read this entire thread you would have seen he had a temp of 66c which is high even for a prescott chip like mine which is at 52c. as he cannot find a fan or heatsink on the motherboard he has a heat problem. those rpm readings could be from the case fans not cpu fan. so until he gives more info on the board as in model#, everything points to temp problem.

11. fgreco

fgreco Member

What kind of test would that be. I only have one memory stick wich is 512mb.

12. ddp

13. jaydeeX3

jaydeeX3 Guest

do a memory test but more than likely its not your memory.... if your memory had errors you would get error messages while trying to run certain applications, but its worth a shot to eliminate one more thing.....

14. EYEShurt

EYEShurt Regular member

it could just be that ur ram is incompatible with ur mo bo ide check that out cause if it is it put ur comp into a sort of eternal procces and freezes it up because its getting faulse info from the ram.

lol i havent posted for a while whats up with the ads lol

15. fgreco

fgreco Member

well, it froze agian and wasnt on too long. I noticed when it froze all the fans were not on. I did notice that they are always on. How much money do you think it would take to fix. If it were any of the problems that all of you have come up with. thanks again.

16. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

fgreco

This is a re-post of what I asked before...

What I suggest is that you once and for all, post here on this thread the actual Make and model number of your PC. This way anyone can do a search, and show you exactly what your mother board looks like. Also, if your CPU temp is that high, you are close to a max temperature and that is the probable cause of your freeze up. Several things can cause a temperature rise such as a fan that is not performing well, a ton of dust clogging everything, or poor ventilation.

So I ask you for the third time, will you post here your Make and Model of Computer?

[bold]You are asking questions and not responding to ours![/bold]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2005
  17. fgreco

fgreco Member

Iiam sorry I thought I did. Ok here it is hewlitt pacakard pivillion a620n. 3200+ amd processor.

p.s. I have a 60 watt light bolb right next to the PC. I put in like a 40 and it was on for a long time without freezing. I didnt check the temperture at that time sorry.

Ps#2 I will do that test you gave me right away when I get on my computer.

Oh my I am sorry to all of you I didnt see all to posts you were giving me I still thought there was only one page to this thread and was looking at page number one not thinking there were any more posts.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2005
  18. ddp

19. fgreco

fgreco Member

yes that is the exact picture of my mother board.

20. ddp

so there is a heatsink & fan at that location????