1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU+GPU "know-it-alls" needed here!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by BondGE, Feb 6, 2007.

1. BondGE

BondGE Member

First, my PC specs are:
    Windows XP Pro SP2
    ASRock K8Upgrade-1689(754)
    AMD Athlon 64 3000+
    1024mb Ram
    160gb+120gb Seagate 7200rpm HDD
    GeForce FX5200 128mb Video card

I've bought some new games over the past couple of months, and my PC can run them but they are pretty choppy in some spots. My question is, Would it be better for me to spend the money on a new CPU or GPU to play my games smoother and faster? I read articles that mention Video Cards are REALLY meant for video editing and that CPUs performs most of the task when games are being played. So could somebody who knows their shatt please help me with my decision? I don't want to buy a video card if it won't contribute to better game play as much as a CPU upgrade. Thanks in advance!

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

get a better videocard. what slot is on the board, agp or pci/e?

3. elokito

elokito Regular member

it seems agp so if u want a good video card go 4 the latest ati card

4. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

those mobos are quite unique in the fact that you can add a riser board with newer cpu and ram. now you can get a 1950pro graphics card on agp. which to my knowledge is the best availible agp card.

this will give you a massive boost in games and take some of the starain off your cpu when watching vids too.

with this gpu your bootleneck will then be your cpu, but like i said above, although you currently use a 754 cpu you can, with the aid of the upgrade board, put a top of the line am2 cpu and some ddr2 into your rig and away you go.

now dont think that the bottleneck will be a big problem because it wont. you will still get high frame rates on high quality settings from all the games out today with your current cpu and this gcard.

check this article as it is quite relivant to your set-up.

edit

fixxed the link.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007
  5. BondGE

BondGE Member

Thanks everyone for the info. Thanks Marsey99 for the article, it helped out alot as far as choosing from AGP or PCI-e mobo in my future pc purchase as well as not getting too upset over not having PCI-e already, thinking AGP was a LOT slower. It turns out the margin between the 2 isn't much.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2007