1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cpu / motherboard cooling Suggestions

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by crush31, Sep 11, 2004.

1. crush31

crush31 Member

Hello all- I am trying to cool my pc down more efficiently. I ran some software that stated it was running hot-(system mechanic v4.0). I think it was talking about the motherboard(?). I have a Soyo MB and it has a system monitor that says the cpu is running at 112 DEG. I don't know if that is correct or not. I just want to make sure my system is properly cooled (with some style if possible!). I would like to get a fairly quiet and effective cooling setup for my pc. I have an intel socket 478 2.6 . I also wanted to cool down the rest of my computer. I had a case fan- but it's fairly noisy. I was just wondering the best overal setup for all aspects of the computer. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!!

2. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

Hi crush31,

that temperature is nothing to worry about, mine is running at 109F (43C) at the moment.
    The amount of cooling is entirely up to you. The usual efficient setup is to have a case fan at the bottom of the front drawing cool air in, a case fan at the top of the rear blowing warm air out and a bigger heatsink and fan for the CPU.
    I got an extra exhaust fan at the rear and my power supply unit has 2 fans running inline, one at the front and one at the back so that also draws air from the case.
    It's also important to get a little brush and clear the dust from all the little vents in your case quite often 'cos this can cause the temp to rise quite a lot.

3. crush31

crush31 Member

How noisy is it?- and do you know of any utilities that can tell you how hot your computer is running?

4. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

Mine is very quiet, bit of a low hum really.
    Your motherboard may have some sort of utility for checking the temps on the disc that came with it.
    If not, the last one I used was called MBM5 (motherboard monitor).
    Click on the link below to have a look.

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

5. crush31

crush31 Member

Thanks for the help. I did try Motherboard monitor- but My soyo board wasn't listed- any other suggestions?

6. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey! There is a utility called SPEEDFAN. You want to be cool-- go liquid!

7. crush31

crush31 Member

Thanks! I will try Speedfan. Thanks for all the help everyone!

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I have an outrageous COU temerature of between 140 and 165F. What is speedfan??