1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cpu not recognizing second HDD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by faqman98, Sep 21, 2007.

1. faqman98

faqman98 Regular member

so i got a second HDD a little while ago but when i went to install it there wasn't a second data receptor to plug it into. so after i sorted that one out with a second data cable i plugged that in but there were only free places in a section of the mobo with "sata 2" labled on it whereas the area with taken places had "sata 1" on it (my dvd drive and original HDD take up those ports). upon plugging in the second HDD into the sata 2 area SURPRISE my cpu didn't notice it even after a reboot. so basicly my Q is how do i fix this preferably without spending any more money

2. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hi, did you connect the power cable from the motherboard to the drive?
    Does the new drive show in the BIOS? If it does, you have to initalize the drive in windows disk management.

3. faqman98

faqman98 Regular member

thanks the disk manager found it but keeps saying that a unexpected error occured blah blah blah when i try to initialize it. can u help me with that

4. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey, power down and unplug the new drive(power and data cables). Turn on the pc and power down again. Reconnect the drive and try to initialize again in disk management.

5. faqman98

faqman98 Regular member

yeah.........all i had to do was a normal restart and it worked fine. thanks again.
    p.s. could you send me a link to something that allows me to boot from my sandisk flash drive cuz i don't want to waste a cd on a livecd

6. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hi, Glad to help. Your motherboard seems to be fairly recent so you should have a bios setting for boot or startup options. Configure it to boot to USB first,cd/dvd drive second and disk 0 last. That way you dont need a utility and the bios will search usb devices first and boot from the flash...........what is a livecd?

7. faqman98

faqman98 Regular member

i already tried that but it doesn't work or matter to me any more. also a live cd is a phrase for a bootdisc used for many free OS's like ubuntu pclinuxos and reactos