1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU overheating - what to do?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Blighter, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Blighter

Blighter Regular member

Hi guys,

My motherboard died, so I've just replaced it.

Had a few problems, but I've got to a stage now where it shuts itself off within 2 minutes of turning it on.

I checked the temperatures in the BIOS screen and I watch it climb from 70 to 100' (at which point it turns itself off everytime). I'm assuming this isn't a coincidence and that it shuts itself off when the temp gets too high.

Anyway, why would it be overheating? I didn't have any problems with the other motherboard, and i've checked all the fans and they seem to be working (initially i realised that I plugged the cpu fan into the system fan plug(!!) but plugging it into the correct slot hasn't fixed things either!) On the same bios screen it says that the CPU fan speed is '0 rpm' as well. I physically see that it's spinning at a decent speed, but the BIOS says it's 0 - is this because I haven't got the hardware to monitor the CPU fan speed, or is there actually something wrong here?

Any help would be appreciated!

Many thanks,
    Blighter

2. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Did you pu thermal paste on the cpu? Also, try a aftermarket cooler, like something from Zalman. I have one from them and it works great.

As for the BIOS thing, I think there might be something wrong there. Did you plug the cpu fan into the correct spot on the mobo? It should be the fan plug that's closest to the cpu heatsink and fan.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

reseat the cpu heatsink fan assembly as most likely 1 side is not seated properly.

4. elokito

elokito Regular member

it has to b very tight the heat sink to the mobo especially if its a 775 socket

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

When you were replacing the motherboard and took your cpu out of the old one did you happen to separate the cpu from the heatsink? If you did I think you will have to re-apply the thermal paste. You should probably try reapplying thermal paste anyway, you never know it might be better. Also as Waymon3X6 said get an aftermarket cooler, they are much better than stock coolers. Where is your cpu fan plugged into btw? If it isn't plugged ito a fan header on the motherboard(some fans connect to a molex connector) then the motherboard doesnt know the fan speed.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2007