1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cpu power supply?

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by averds, Feb 3, 2008.

1. averds

averds Member

i want to change my current power supply, can i use a power supply for my cpu which has higher power (watts) than the old? thanks in advance.

2. DXR88

DXR88 Regular member

Yes you can... you can hook up a 700watt to a P1.

so yes the more power the better.

3. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Not necessarily. You want a quality power supply to begin with, and why would you hook up a 700watt PSU to a old Pentium processor? If you're talking about just hooking it up to processors, why would you even hook it up to a Quad Core?

Yes, but dont buy a cheap one. Get one from a company like OCZ, Corsair and Antec to name a few.

4. DXR88

DXR88 Regular member

Dissing my post

No reason you just can.

Uh were did you get that from. dont play me as a fool

and the more power you have the better off you are down the road for futur upgrades

5. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

I wasn't dissing, I was just correcting :)

I was saying that even if you had a quad core, a 700watt PSU would be overkill.

6. mangpepe

mangpepe Regular member

If you want to buy a power supply, look for a Cooler Master. Has been praised by its high efficiency and stability and has the most positive reviews.Much affordable and will not overkill.

7. shaffaaf

shaffaaf Regular member

but the best PSUs have to be the Corsair HX520 and HX620, in thier respective ranges.

also if you buy a 700W psu and only use up like 150W, then you are wasting the elec, as PSUs are most efficient under 70%+ load. you will be using less than 40%, and so it will take more leccy to get to 150W, but a lesser power unit would do much better. (by less i do not mean CRAP, but yes cheap....cheap can be Quality aswell, but crap and cheap, are a bad combo)

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Coolermaster units are alright, but Corsairs are far better. You can make do with a 500W unit for almost any gaming PC, provided it's by a decent company.

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I have never heard of Cooler master units being praised all that much. They're alright, but not top line stuff.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I heard that their top end units are surprisingly adept at putting out the amount of power they say, which puts them above even the top brands. OCZ and Enermax units (yep, even the huge Galaxy) have trouble reaching their rated spec. The OCZ units bomb out at around 800W and the Enermaxes can make the full KW, but not for very long before they go poof I heard...