1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU problem.

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by bennasher, Aug 30, 2007.

1. bennasher

bennasher Regular member

ok, so i recieve this buzzing noise from inside my pc while gaming which i though was that gfx card. that wa xsaround about a week ago when i first heard it (it happens whenever i play games) however the noise had led me to think it was the cpu. i downloaded a program called sensorsview, which tells me the temp of my cpu. for some reason it was telling me the cpu was around 70^C at idle. but now its starting telling me that its -20^c, im really confused and worried whatll happen if i leave it to continue like this. any help would be welcome.
    Thanks.

2. LDee

LDee Regular member

Hello, what cpu is it? Are you using the stock heatsink and fan that came with it? Have you taken the heatsink and fan off the cpu for some reason and re-seated it recently? You said something about the graphics card, did you install that recently or something? Can you look in your pc and see if the fan is running on your cpu or not?

Please answer all these questions and I'm sure someone will be able to help you. Also please go here and download speedfan, then post the temps that speedfan tells you.

3. bennasher

bennasher Regular member

ok, its a amd athlon 64 3000+, i believe i am using the stock heatsink and fan and no it hasnt been taken off since installation. yes i got the gfx card around a week or two ago, its an nvidia 8800gts 640mb. the fan runnning on my cpu and i have another one on the case. i ran speed fan and got these results:
    Temp 1: 61^C (fire picture)
    Temp 2: 55^C (fire picture)
    Temp 3: 5^C (arror pointing down)
    HD0: 40^C (green tick)
    Core: 74^C (fire picture)
    Core: 66^C (fire picture)
    Ambient: 0^C (arrow pointing down)
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    Ben.

4. LDee

LDee Regular member

Hi, I'm sorry but I really don't know much about amd processors and their running temps. However, I am pretty sure that your cpu core temperatures are too high (I take it those temps were taken when the system wasn't under load?), however I can't see what could have just started causing this now? All I can think of is that you either didn't connect the pci-e power cable from the power supply to your new 8800 gts (I think it should require extra power) and that could be causing some overheating (although I would have thought it just wouldn't work), or the heat sink was never seated properly on the cpu in the first place and only now when the new card is pushing the system it is overheating this much. Or some hardware failure. Try putting your old graphics card back in (if it still works and you still have it) and see if the temps stay this high and the buzzing noise remains.

Anyone else have suggestions.

5. bennasher

bennasher Regular member

sorry for the long reply but, today i took out the cpu and blew the HELL out of it!there was mountains of dust in there! put it back in and these are my temps.
    Temp1: 50^C
    Temp2: 35^C
    Temp3: 70^C
    HD0: 38^C
    Core: 43^C
    Core: 63^C
    Ambient: 0^C
    Fan1: 3245rpm.

could you by any chance tell me what each one is?? temp1, 2, 3 ect.
    thanks.

EDIT: i check my cpu temp in bios when i first loaded up the pc and it old me the temp was 35^C. when i checked it yesterday it was around the high 60's. I was playing quite alot of games today also and i did not get the beeping noise. Do you think the problem is still there?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2007
  6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Maybe it was the motherboard warning you that temps were too high. I think AMD's come with thermal pads, take that off and apply some Arctic Silver for even better temps.

7. LDee

LDee Regular member

Maybe it was just dusty, your Temp 2 (cpu) looks good now, Temp 3 at 70 C doesnt look nice but since it was reading as 5 C before, perhaps this is a false reading or no connection.

Just to be safe I'd download and install everest home and check the temps again with that, while idle and while playing a game. If the noise has gone and the cpu doesn't seem to be getting to hot then I think you probably sorted it out by taking the dust away.

8. bennasher

bennasher Regular member

thanks alot for all of your help. and i will post back if i still do get the buzzing noise. i will download everest and check my temps.
    Thanks.

9. bennasher

bennasher Regular member

Just a few more questions!
    Does anyone know what temp1 is?
    is temp2 definately my cpu.
    and what are the different cores? one seems to be hottter than the other.
    what is abient because i am still reading 0 on it?
    Thanks alot.