1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cpu processors

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by victor14, Dec 5, 2007.

1. victor14

victor14 Regular member

I am planning to buy a new fast cpu for gaming. However, my motherboard is not supported. So, are there any good fast cpu's for gaming? I heard that the quad core 2 duo is the best and fastes for everyting including gaming. Here are my specs:

Motherboard: ASUS P5P800S-VM
    Sound Card: Sound Max
    Video Card: ATI Radeon X1950 Pro AGP 512 MB
    CPU: Intel pentium D 3.2 GHZ
    RAM: 2.00 GB

Also, can you tell me which type of motherboard i need to buy that supports pci express slots and crossfire video cards(two video cards on motherboard). Furthermore, I also need the cpu name too. Thanks!

2. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Well there are the Core 2 Extreme, which are currently the best out there. They range in price from about $900+ and up. Or, there are the Core 2 Quads. The Q6600 is the main (most bang for the buck) processor that people use when they want a quad core. Your mobo is socket 775 so it will support the quads, C2Ds and more, but since you have AGP you need a new mobo. Some great names to buy from are gigabyte and ASUS (my favorite).

This motherboard is probably the best out there to support Crossfire:
    http://clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=CA4802848

I would avoid it if you're not doing water cooling, since that's how the northbridge is cooled.

Also, if you get a Q6600, the do 2 2900s or 38** in Crossfire, anything below that would be a huge overkill for the quad since no games (including Crysis) are optimized to use it yet.

Just look for something with 2 PCI-e slots for Crossfire (pci-e 16x or 2.0) and the mobo has to have a P** chipset or X38 to support Crossfire. If you get one with a nvidia chipset, then you cannot run Crossifre since Nvidia is SLi. Also, get some DDR2 800 (pc 6400) so you wont bottleneck anything, and look for a mobo to support that as well. Finaly, you need a socket 775 mobo to run the Core 2 Duos and Quads. The C2Ds are great for gaming. Possibly even better than the quads because no game is yet optimized to use a 4 cores, and they over clock like crazy!

3. victor14

victor14 Regular member

according to the cpu i have now on my pc, will the core 2 quad make my pc quicker? Also, can you give me the specs for the core 2 quad? Thanks!

4. Zer0ink

Zer0ink Regular member

5. victor14

victor14 Regular member

will the core 2 quad make my pc alot faster or no differece at all?

6. victor14

victor14 Regular member

Also, will i need to change my agp video card if I get the new motherboard for the core 2 quad Q6700?

7. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

First of all, why a Q6700? Are you talking about the COre 2 Extreme version ($949.99) or the Core 2 Quad? (539.99)

Get a Q6600. It's rated at 2.4Ghz, but is also cheaper at 279.99. You could easily overclock it to be faster than the Q6700, and keep the money for something else. Although, there really is no need for overclocking a Quad core since there is no game out there optomized to use all 4 cores.

The cpu you have now (pentium D) is a cheap duel core processor, meaning that the processor has 2 cores to carry out 2x the work in the same time a single core processor would. A Quad core can handle 4x the work, or twice the about of the pentium D, actully even ore since the pentium ds are so old and their architecture isnt as great as a C2D or Quad core.

To answer your question, no, you will not see a improvment in games until a patch is released for that game that utalizes all 4 cores. Currently their are only games that can use 2 cores (IE, your processor, A core 2 duo, or a Athon x2).

However, you will see a performance increase in windows because the quad core is much faster.

Dont get a 6700, get a 6600. Way cheaper, and a minimal difference.

But yes, the card you have now is a mainstream card. It will bottleneck your performance with a quad core, IE, why have a kick ass processor if your graphics card is limiting how fast the game runs?

Get something like a 8800GT, or a 3870 from ATi.

PS, the new processors from Intel are coming out in January, so I would wait.

8. victor14

victor14 Regular member

im am planning to get the core 2 quad but, will my video card still work? Also, I am planning to buy the cpu in asia.

9. victor14

victor14 Regular member

Also, the core 2 quad processor Q6600 will improve my computer speed by alot right? ON my computer, I usually play games like company of heroes, download and burn stuff at the same time. Furthermore, which motherboard will work for the core 2 quad Q6600 and my radeon X1950 AGP 512? Lastly,
    will my gaming performance become smoother than the cpu i have now?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  10. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Yes, you will see better performance when playing games and downloading suff at the same time.

I am telling you man, get a new mobo with a PCI-e 16x or 2.0 slot. In games, you will see way more performance increace with a new GPU, like a 8800GT or ATi 3870 than a AGP x1950.

If you're not going to get a new graphics card, then dont bother with the Q6600 because the quad will make a very small difference compared to a new graphics card.

11. victor14

victor14 Regular member

how much is an ati 3870? I plan to buy it in taiwan.

12. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

over here in the u.s., they're about $250-270. 8800GT goes for $280-330, if you can find one.

13. victor14

victor14 Regular member

If I buy all of my parts: the motherboard, core 2 Quad Q6600 and ATI Radeon 3870 in Taiwan this christmas. Will the total price be cheaper? Also, can you send me the prices of motherboards that are cheap and can support the core 2 quad Q6600 and the ATI 3870 graphics card. By the way, I use windows xp.

14. victor14

victor14 Regular member

I have decided to get a desktop pc with these specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

Video Card: ATI RADEON HD 3870

Motherboard: ?

RAM: 4.0 GB

Hard Drive: 1 Teraybyte

Sound Card: ?

However, I do not know which OS should I get: Vista or XP. Furthermore, is there a motherboard that is suitable for my cpu and video card. Lastly, will this computer be a good computer for gaming? Thanks!

15. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Looks great. For a mobo, I would get something by ASUS or Gigabyte with a P** or X38 chipset, since those go with the Ati cards. Get one with a PCI-e 16x or PCI-e 2.0 slot, and make sure it is socket LGA 775 for your quad core.

Now the vista and xp question. Some people have problems with Vista, some do not (like me). Vista offers more support for future games and DX10. Also, since you got a DX10 card, I would go with vista because you would be putting the cards DX10 capability to waste.

16. victor14

victor14 Regular member

Can you give me the motherboard model that is best suited with my specs? Thanks!

17. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

What is your price range? I, personally love this motherboard and will be upgrading to it around Christmas time when the price drops:

http://www.clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=CA4802848&nav=1

I will be getting a quad core (G0 to overclock more) and be putting 2 3870s in crossfire. That's why I got a mobo with the new x38 chipset.

EDIT: but also, that mobo uses water cooling to cool the chipset, so maybe just the base Maximus SE will work best for you:

http://clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=CA4802847

The only difference is that this one doesnt have a waterblock on top of the chipset.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  18. victor14

victor14 Regular member

If I get windows vista, will i be able to play direct x 9 games? Also, will the motherboard that you have listed before, support 4 gb of ram? Thanks!

19. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Vista is backwards compatible with DX9 games, so you shouldn't have a problem playing them.

That mobo supports up to 8GB of DDR2 800 ram. I would strongly suggest that you get DDR2 800 (pc6400) since that is the default memory for the motherboard (if thats the mobo you want)

20. victor14

victor14 Regular member

If I plan to buy the core 2 quad Q6600 processor and the ATI Radeon HD 3870 in Taiwan. Will these two products be compatible with the motherboard im going to buy in canada?