1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Speed or RAM for a BT box?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Feltes45, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Feltes45

Feltes45 Member

well, im considering building a bt box. not the fancy crap, i dotn think i need any of that, i would if i had the time and knowledge but i have no clue what some of that junk is, im bad with networking. so im takin the noobs way out. i have many spare motherboards with cpu's and ram in them all set to be up and running, but. what is really needed for a btbox? anything special at all? i have a 1.7ghz cpu and like 256mb of ram and then i have a mobo thats probably a 1.5ghz and 128mb or 64mb. does it really matter the hardware on my system if im just using it for torrents?

2. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

If all your using it for is for torrents then probably no...

I would go with a faster cpu though, doesnt have to be duel core for what you're going to use it for, but I would have at least a 2.5Ghz processor and more ram to... 512mb minimum.

3. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Your hardware doesn't matter as long as you can run Azureus, or whatever client you use. You might want a large hard disk though, for all those movies.

4. Feltes45

Feltes45 Member

now who says im downloading all movies? lol. apps to games, all that junk. but wow 2.5ghz? are you serious? why do i need that much? is it true the CPU is used for server like purposes?

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Bit torrenting does use a lot of processing, especially if you seed a lot of torrents after finishing them. The main problem however is that most BT boxes are appalling for torrenting, or at least the wireless ones certainly are. Wired routers aren't so bad, but to try to find one with over 300 maximum connections. My USB modem maxes out at about 200, any more, and not only can I not connect any additional peers but web browsing is dial-up slow.
    Note that even a good linksys wireless router has 30 maximum connections.

6. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I have a Celeron D 2.66 Ghz with 512 Mb of RAM. That's what I use for Bit torrent. It runs fine, and I can usually browse the web without noticeable impact on performance. Of course web pages load slower but that is because I am downloading stuff at the same time. If all that you are going to use it for is downloading then I think you will be fine. If you already have the hardware try it out. I mean whats the worst that can happen?

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The worst that can happen is that your router will crash, youll have to unplug/replug it and you will have lost the net for a few minutes.
    As for the 2.66Ghz celeron, far slower systems can download fine, it's when you seed a lot (like you should do!) That you need to have good hardware.

8. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I know but its like a family computer, everyone in the house uses that one for browsing the web(except for me, I have my own). Yeah, sometimes I skimp on the seeding(we all do it once in a while!).

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You torrent from your family's PC? You scoundrel! lol

10. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

They never notice it either. That little blue frog down near the clock, so lonely, never noticed by anyone.

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Lol, well indeed. Wonder what would happen should an unsuspecting parent double click on him?

12. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

They don't really care.

13. Feltes45

Feltes45 Member

yeah my parents dont really care either, every once and a while they ask me where i get all the games and movies from and if its legal, i say kinda, and they smile, lol. i love being a kid. i mainly use my gaming rig, i like to keep a bt box running usually. ive DL'ed and seeded almost anything hacked xbox bios to photoshop. i love filesharing :)
    which is why i gotta be dumb here. sorry i forgot to quote them, but someone said somethings about max connections. i see how that would be a problem, especially with 2+ people on computers usually. i would like to know how i can check my max connections for my router wrtg...45?e or something, idk i can check, but would it be like something i could google my router product and it would be under some sites specs, or would it be in the router settings? cause you said they only had like 30 connections, that explain a lot! so, what is a good router? we need wireless too. m older brother and sisters are so proud of their laptops, along with my mom. but making my bt box wireless would be a bad idea? thanks guys, im sorry. im just full of questions.

14. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

I think he means max connections when using wireless is 30. I might be wrong though so I guess we just wait for sammoris, although you could call up linksys and ask. Oh and my parents KNOW its not legal they just don't care anymore because this way THEY don't have to play for it. Since I work for my dad he doesn't pay me much and I have to get him to buy my PC stuff. So as long as he is saving money he doesn't care. In fact when we were back home(Pakistan) he had my xbox modded so I could buy games there(All you find there are pirated copies, its impossible to find an original game), which cost about 1 USD.

15. Feltes45

Feltes45 Member

sorry to get off topic but, thats awesome! Ive never met anyone from pakistan. and your dad had your xbox modded? haha, my dad is like a delivery man/landscaping expert who also knows how to send an email :p
    blackcats-games.net is a reeeally good site for games. if i wasnt autobooted right now for inactivity id send you on of my like 200 invites i had :( . well the day is young, ill wait to see what others have to say about this as well. nice meeting you.

16. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Nice meeting you too. My dad is a Doctor, but when we moved to America he didn't feel like taking the USMLE so he started up his own car dealership. BTw there is a post here on how to speed up Torrent downloads.

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Awesome. As for the maximum connection limits, I couldn't say whether it's for wireless only or not, I would suspect that is the case, because 30 is awful, but a lot of routers just hang if you try to do too much with them. A lot of netgear routers were entirely incompatible with emule, because any more than half a dozen UDP connections and they would crash, imagine what having several hundred did to them!
    I got the data from the Tom's Hardware router charts, so perhaps they might say more about it, test methodology and all that.

18. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

im not 100% but im sure utorrent only needs a pentium 2 or equivelent so a 1.7ghz would be plenty, 512mb ram to keep windoze running smmoth and as many hard drives as sam (now we know why you have them :))would be plenty.

you could even get a linux distro like kumbutu as it only needs a real low specs and it has all you would need to start torrenting on the live cd.

19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yes, but I have a feeling those requirements are the bare minimum to run a torrent, running quite a few simultaneously uses a lot more than a P2's worth of my CPU.