1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crack SamSung DVD Drive for Original Xbox.

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by TheReturn, Mar 29, 2006.

1. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

Flashed with bin file sdg605b. It flashed but won't accept a burnt dvd. Just get the normal "not xbox original" message.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2006
  2. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

..LOL good luck..I won't do it because i have my softmodd ...Currently trying to install my dam modchip.....and that will let me play my backups..But i guess it is kool that some hacked it and can Play backups without it being modded

3. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

If you have some extra, then you should try with the original xbox dvd drive.

As we look around, how many ppl doing this hack? Not that many. In this forums YOu are the first one, bhetrick. You are brave.

4. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

Wait isn't the Xbox Drive a retail drive that they sell for Pc's or do they just have it for xbox's

5. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

hmm.. I'm not sure about that.

6. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

Ya, now if I can just find a good copy of that firware hack for the samsung...

I do have 3 xbox's sitting here but only 1 with the samsung. So ya... I'm willing to give it a try. The samsung is the original xbox drive.

It's not a retail drive. The power plug is xbox specific. Now I did see a mod somewhere in which you can modify a retail drive to work with an xbox. Plus I checked to see if I could find the firmware to reflash the samsung drive back to work with the xbox and can't find anything.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2006
  7. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

Since I only have 1 samsung in my xbox. I can't take risk to give it a try.

Sorry, I can't help you. Plus I have to depend on you for the result.

8. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

I'll be the guinea pig 8^)

9. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

hahaha.

10. *agent47*

*agent47* Guest

the samssung drive seems easier to hack.

all i need to do is use the ide cable. isn't that really simple.

a software and firmware. it may take time but not as complicated as the hitachi drive!!!

or am i missing something?

11. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

I don't understand what you mean by using IDE cable to hack samsung drive.

12. *agent47*

*agent47* Guest

its says

Steps to flash drive:
    ---------------------

1. Plug Samsung DVD drive into PC IDE port with power still from XBOX.

2. Use included MTK Win flash program and firmware file and flash the drive (I used ATAPI mode).

3. Plug back into XBOX and enjoy:)

---------------------
    into pc ide - sorry if i'm sayin it wrong.

so is this all true?

13. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

yes that is right.
    But the hack firmware does not work yet. That is the problem. And bhetrick has one dvd drive "broke" now.

14. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

Ya, just run an ide cable from the xbox drive to your pc mobo. The ability to flash that way works, but the actual hacked flash doesn't. If anyone finds one let me know.

Focker out!!!

15. tocool4u

tocool4u Guest

I think they sell Drives for xboxs on Ebay..I don't know how much they are though

16. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

Ya...I see a bunch on there all the time. I'm just going to hang on to this drive. I'll keep trying to find the hacked flash for it.

17. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

Just a note for ya all... the samsung drive DOES STILL WORK JUST FINE in the modded xbox's. At least the ones with mod chips. I don't have any softmodded ones but I'd image it'd still work in them, also.

This samsung drive that I flashed with that so-called "firmware hack" which is floating around on the web will no longer read in an unmodded xbox. But when I turn the chip back on it works just fine.

18. TheReturn

TheReturn Guest

it is weird hack firmware. lol

19. ascii

ascii Member

Thats cos its a fake, someone trying to be clever.
    You should have maybe read the firmware outta ya samsung drive first, so that you could put it back to normal after flashing with the supposedly cracked firmware, actually other sites have listed what is different from the original firmware and the cracked one, so hex edit it back to original and then flash as long as checksum is ok etc.

20. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

Well even with the crap-firmware upgrade I did, the drive still works fine in my modded xbox. Plays both games and movies, original and backup. It's when I turn off the mod chip and try to play a game in that drive it won't read. But I never play with the chip off, so it doesn't affect me.