1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crackly playback with SB Audigy 2 ZS

Discussion in 'Audio' started by -Polaris-, Aug 18, 2004.

1. -Polaris-

-Polaris- Member

This only happens when I play songs that have distorted guitar and lots of treble is in play. My front and rear left speakers output a bunch of static and it's so irritating. It's not my speakers either, because I used headphones and I still hear the crackle. If I burn a CD with the same songs and play them in my car, they're crackle free. So I'm pretty sure it's the hardware. Yes, I have up to date drivers and I'm using windows XP. Anyone have any ideas?

and I know I could just turn the treble down, but then the music sounds worse because it's all muffled sounding. Need treble : D

2. -Polaris-

-Polaris- Member

oooold thread, still got the problem lol anyone know about this?

3. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

It might not be your speakers or your soundcard, it could be that you have some dirty POTs (switches, voumn control). When you listen to a CD through your headphones in what are they plugged into?

4. -Polaris-

-Polaris- Member

I plug the headphones in through the front panel I installed that came with the SB card. I've tried like messing with volume controls and stuff and lowering different WAV settings and what not and it doesn't seem to really help. I put wav way low and the pops seem to stop, but then I turn the volume up on my speaker's head and the popping is still there

5. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

It could be a defective card but usually when one starts describing crackly sounds in their speakers, then either the voicke coil in the speaker is damaged or they have a dfty contact point somewhere. If it happens when you turn up your volume then I'm going with a dirty contact point. Get some contact cleaner or remove the part with your volume control and take in a get it cleaned.

6. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Just an after thought, you might want to check your cards install as well.