1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crashing Problem

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Firemasta, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Firemasta

Firemasta Member

Recently my computer has either been crashing the game i've been playing, or just totally been restarting...
    I have no idea what it could be, sometimes i play a low graphic game called Starsiege Tribes, and sometimes i play Half Life 2. But neither of them can last 10 minutes without my computer either
    A:Crashing the game
    B:Freezing and forcing me to restart it
    C:Restarting by itself

its usually fine until i start playing a game

Sys Specs:
    K7S5A socket A Elitegroup motherboard
    512 DDR RAM
    Creative Sound Blaster Live 24-bit sound card
    Geforce 5200 fx 128mb video card
    AMD Sempron 2500+ Processor

If anyone knows what could be the problem, please respond i really need the help. tnx

2. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

are these games originals, downloads, or backups?

3. Firemasta

Firemasta Member

Tribes is a download
    and Half Life 2 I bought

4. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

is this a recent problem?...with gaming?

5. Firemasta

Firemasta Member

it started as soon as i "upgraded" my comp with a new motherboard, processor, case, power supply

and its only if i play a game or prolly some kind of full screen application

Last edited: Mar 12, 2005
  6. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

More than likely you have Windows XP. You can't expect to move a hard drive over to a new MB and everything work fine. Your lucky it even booted. The old MB DNA(drivers) is still in windows. There are conflicts going on.

Try this. First boot into safe mode. Go into device manager. Remove every piece of hardware you can. All of it, everything. sometimes those IDE drivers will not come out.Reboot and let the hardware install. Have your driver disks ready. After all the reboots make sure all your drivers are current.

If that does not fix things then here is step 2. Boot off your WinXP cd. when loaded hit Enter then F-8. Hit the letter R and say yes. that will do a repair install of windows. You will not lose your settings. You may lose SP2 if the CD is only SP1. Have your CD key with you.

Before trying these things back up what you can. If niether work or suggestions that will be posted don't work, then you will be re-installing windows from scratch. Yes that means Format the disk. Also means spending hours reinstalling your programs. Just curious though what was your former setup?

Good luck
    -Del

Last edited: Mar 13, 2005
  7. nohelpme

nohelpme Regular member

What power supply wattage are you using?