1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crazy Idea for a Forum Structure

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by KillerBug, May 21, 2010.

1. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

What if...

Someone creates a site something like Wikipedia, where users can add/update information to lots of different subjects. Users may mark items for deletion, but only forum staff can make deletions final. Users may add items whenever they want, but will be banned or suspended for intentionally posting incorrect information. Users may also post questions directly to the page relating to their question. This would be limited to tech subjects, so we would have pages like, "Online Gaming on XboX360", and that page would cover everything related to XboX360 online play, from points structures to connection issues, to concerns over bricking, etc. That way, when someone wants to find out about the latest state of XboX360 hacks in relationship to Microsoft banning, they don't have to search through 80,000 results, only to get the wrong answer in the end.

If this is too radical, how about we just return the old search function to the forum. Google's search is terrible, it does not just lack features; it does not find anything. If I use the custom search to search afterdawn forums, I get no good results...yet I use google.com to do the same search, and I get the afterdawn article I wanted somewhere the first page. The only reason to search afterdawn with anything buy google.com is the "search by username" feature, and that isn't part of the google custom search anyway.

I think the first option would almost eliminate people asking the same thing over and over, and the second option would at least let us say, "Next time, use the search" when someone posted the same question that has already been answered 100 times.

2. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

I dont like the search function.especially hate the part where you can only search posts from the last 90days.if you got a problem with a ps2 or xbox thats a very common problem and you know its been answered hundreds of times just not recently finding the answer can be a hassle.I dont think punishing people for incorrect answers/info is the way to go anyone can make a mistake and then unless the mods/admin actually personally try everything or spend hundreds of hours investigating they can't prove whats real or not.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum as not a safety valve issue.