1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CRC failure/error when extracting rars

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Pepp77, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Hello peeps, thansk for advance for any helpful responses.

Recently I had my power supply fail on my PC and from reading around I understand that if not caught early enough this can cause problems to other hardware, like the CPU or the RAM.

I thought I had caught it and replaced the PSU however since I have I have been getting a lot of CRC errors/failures on downloaded rars. At first I thought it might have been a couple of dodgy SATA cables I bought(which I added when I replaced the PSU) not transferring the data properly to the drives, but I tried the same download to an external USB harddrive and was getting the same errors.

So Im wondering is there a recommended program to test the ram for errors that could be causing this, or does anyone have any other idea of what could be causing it before I throw the PC out of the window.

PS I have successfully got the download to save successfully to the same USB external drive on my second computer (a laptop).

PPS Just remembered should also add I have been having random reboots and also failures when transcoding/recoding .mkv files since the PSU failed (this is using PS3 video 9, but ffmpeg keeps running in the background).

2. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Further testing today using Windows Memory Diagnosis and ActiveSmart 2.6 show no faults at all with the RAM or the harddrives. Which leaves me further perplexed. Also whenever I try to install WD's Diagnostics the PC gives the blue screen of death for half a second then reboots as if nothing has happened.

The other annoyance is other than that theres doesnt seem to be a real pattern to the reboots, it also rebooted yesterday when I was copying from from the USB external drive to the esata external drive.

Only things left realistically that could be faulty are the MOBO and the CPU and I dont have a clue how to test those.

3. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Another update:-

Just had a reboot whilst encoding using PS3 video 9 - which has been unstable since the PSU failed.

The Event Viewer gave the following information:-

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The Bugcheck was 0x1000000a (0x00000020,0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804fbf60)

Does anyone have any idea what that might mean.

4. Pegasis

Pegasis Regular member

I know you say u have tested the ram but i had this problem not that long ago, and also posted.

Do you have any single sticks of ram in your pc, if so try removing the odd one. if not swap them all out for a different set (If you have some) and try again.

I have found that crc an check sum error can be caused by a corrupt ram sticks where information can not be retrieved from certain area's in the memory, further more mine did not show any conflicts either and told me the devices were working properly.

Hope this helps, let me know how you get on.

5. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

Thanks for the reply - I dont have any other ram, but have tried it with just one of my two sticks in each of the sockets - 4 different combinations and the random hangs still happened - its hard to test though as they can happen 4 times an hour or once a day lol.

Im starting to think its the CPU as whenever I try to run prime95 or equivalent the PC hangs (Prime95 said it would run for 11 hours and hung within 30 mins).

Ive decided to cut my losses and just buy new everything except harddrives and then sell this on ebay with a detailed description of the fault. should still be able to get £100 for it as it does work most of the time.