1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

creating 3 Partitions (OSX tiger-XP-Shared partition)

Discussion in 'Mac - General discussion' started by grafite, Jan 21, 2008.

1. grafite

grafite Member

Hi,

I have a macbook pro (intel core duo, 100gb hdd, 1gb ram) running the latest OSX Tiger which i use for Producing and Dj'ing on. I have just recently made the transition to mac (love it) but a majority of the software I have is XP.

So what I want to do is to have 3 partitions
    1. OSX Tiger (i already have installed)
    2. XP pro partition
    3. a Shared Partition (so both XP and Mac can read/write to it)

*I have a copy of the bootcamp beta 1.4c to create and use XP. I do not wish to upgrade to leopard as this will cause many of my apps to stop working.

The idea of the shared partition is so that I do not have to double up on copies of samples and files, therefore giving me more room on both the Xp and Mac partitions, aswell as making an eventual transition from XP to Mac alot simpler.

I have had a look on the net, but all the information on doing this that I have found is either conflicting, confusing or if done wrong (if I follow the wrong method or do something wrong) could damage my current setup (Tiger on its own).

So I would like to know how I can (if possible) make this set-up.

Really appreciate any help you can give me

Thanks,
    Shane

2. cheezoli

cheezoli Member

Use Boot Camp to create a partition and install Windows. You don't need to have a third partition to share files. If you format the Windows partition as FAT32, Mac OS X can read/write to that fine. If you format it as NTFS then use MacFUSE with NTFS-3G (which works great, by the way) so Mac OS X can read/write to it.