1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creating a mpg file for slower computers

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by mikedz, May 16, 2002.

1. mikedz

mikedz Member

on my computer i am capturing video with and ATI All-in-wonder to mpeg-2. This plays fine on my pc but will not play on my other slower computer(500MHZ 128MB)It says it doesn't recognize it. I have tried encoding the file to other formats using cleanerEZ, premiere and flaskmpeg but all i can get is really jerky files with video and audio out of sync. I have downloaded mpg files off the internet and the slow computer plays them fine. How can i encode my mpeg-2 files from the ATI card into mpeg files that my slow computer can play?

Thanks

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

The recognition problem is not due the machine, but you just need to install MPEG-2 player, like PowerDVD XP 4.0. I have P3/500 and it plays everything I throw in it very nicely.

3. mikedz

mikedz Member

Thanks but that doesn't really solve the problem. I have downloaded mpg movies off the net that play fine on the slow computer. What i really need to know is how these movies have been encoded so that i can copy the settings. I have tried to encode a movie lots of different ways....avi with lots of different codecs at different kbps. The movies always play very jerky. I decided to compress the movie to mpg but i don't know what settings i should be using and whether to use mpeg-2 or mpeg-1 or mpeg-4. Also what settings in flaskmpeg should i be using to get a movie that will play.
    Hope this makes sense