1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creating an .ISO and then writing it.

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by adur, May 30, 2007.

1. adur

adur Member

I have a folder with .vob's .bup's.ifo's with about a 3gb filesize and I dont have the original Dvd.
    I'd like to write it to a dvd with all the menus and all the extras.
    Can anybody help?

2. orion250

orion250 Regular member

You can burn it to dvd with the menus and extras if you ripped it originally WITH menus and extras. What software did you use to rip the movie to your hard drive? Did you do a FULL dvd or a partial rip? Was the copy protection removed at the time of the rip? Do you have Dvd Shrink and Imgburn? If so, you can use Dvd Shrink to backup the files in ISO mode and use Imgburn to burn the image to disc. Hope this helps! Any other questions, just post.

3. gamename

gamename Regular member

r u sure u want to create an iso or just burn a dvd that will play on ur dvd player? sorry i dont mean to answer a question with a question.

4. MysticE

MysticE Active member

With that size I doubt there are any 'extras'.

5. adur

adur Member

Orion: I didn't rip it. A friend did. I'll try your method though.

Gamename: I kind of do want to just play it. Now that I think about it I don't need menus and all that I just want to see the movie with functional sound.It is an instructional dvd so putting it on a dvd wwouldn't hurt at all.

MysticE: It's only 55 minutes long.

6. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

adur,

Assuming the video files you mention (vob, bup, and ifo) are DVD compliant files, then............

There are two totally free applications that will do this for you, they are folder2iso and imgburn (mentioned above).

First
    folder2iso is used to convert the .bup, .ifo, and .vob files to an ISO image format.

Folder2iso is gotten here:
    http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/FolderISO-Download-32023.html

Second
    Imgburn is then used to burn the ISO image you created to DVD, using it's mode ISO write function.

Imgburn is gotten here:
    http://www.imgburn.com/

7. orion250

orion250 Regular member

If the files are Dvd compliant, you can also use Dvd Shrink to open them and back them up in ISO mode. Then burn with Imgburn.

8. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

Using DVD shrink is unnecessary if the files are not encrypted and can at times produce undesired results because of that. A simple conversion to ISO format (which would take much less time to do) and then using imgburn to complete the backup is the better way to go, but the choice is always up to the user.

9. MysticE

MysticE Active member

ImgBurn will do the job, either files (VIDEO_TS) or ISO. No need to use any other app to convert to ISO for ImgBurn.

10. orion250

orion250 Regular member

If you use Ripit4me to rip the movie to the hard drive, and have the box checked next to "Remove Macrovision Protection" in Dvd Decrypter, the final ripped product will not be encrypted. You CAN use Shrink even if you don't need to shrink the movie, just backup into ISO mode which takes about 5-7 minutes. If the movie is less than 4460mb and you don't need to burn in ISO mode, you don't need to use Shrink at all. Often, if I don't need to shrink a movie and it will fit on one single layer disc, I will skip Shrink altogether and create a data disc within RecordNow and just burn the VIDEO_TS folder containing the IFO, BUP & VOB files. Sometimes I will just open Shrink and backup into ISO mode and burn with Imgburn.

11. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

orion250
    Why would you want to, it's a complete waste of time, there are easier ways of creating image files (by the way, folder2iso will do it in less than 1 min. in most cases).

If you really like the shrink/imgburn combo, then try using this version of DVD shrink (also free) found here http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/DVD_Shrink_3_2_b_w_IB.zip

It incorporates imgburn into DVDshrink's backup options so that now you can choose to create an ISO image and autoburn with imgburn instead of DVD decrypter.

MysticE
    You're right, I haven't used imgburn in a long time and haven't kept up with it's progress, the build mode should do the trick.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
  12. MysticE

MysticE Active member

I don't know how RecordNow works, but with Nero if you choose 'Data' you will end up with a non working disc.

13. gamename

gamename Regular member

well there are a few unknowns here but nero recode or nero vision should do it. mystice is right ur dvd player will not play a data disc.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2007
  14. orion250

orion250 Regular member

I have been using RecordNow for about 3 years and have always selected "data disc" within RecordNow (one of its options). I have NEVER had any problems playing these discs on either of my Sony dvd changers, my Panasonic dvd changer, my PC, my laptop, or my personal dvd player.

@johnl123-

I have not used folder2iso before and the only way I have backed up into ISO mode is with Shrink and then Imgburn to burn.

15. adur

adur Member

I created an ISO and I'm prepared to burn a disk now.
    Problem is the ISO is 3.98 GB and the biggest cd I have holds 750 MB.

16. MysticE

MysticE Active member

17. orion250

orion250 Regular member

Get some blank single layer dvd's. They will hold up to 4.4gb. Try Imgburn though, you'll like it.

http://www.imgburn.com/

18. night191

night191 Member

Question about creating an ISO. I used convertxtodvd and that gave me dvd files (audio_ts folder and video_ts folder) and from there burned it on to dvd and it works fine on computer and dvd player. so the question is if you already have the dvd files that'll work when burned what would be the point of making an ISO?

19. orion250

orion250 Regular member

I don't convert to ISO mode that often. I know Imgburn will burn ISO but not sure if it will burn the Audio_ts and Video_ts files, never tried it. I basically put all of my Vob, Ifo & Bup files in a Video_ts directory and burn that with RecordNow. It will work just fine even if you don't convert into ISO.