1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creating an MDF with stripped files

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by jchristl, Jan 18, 2005.

1. jchristl

jchristl Member

I was looking for a crack to get my Sims2 game to play without the cd. Apparently people had been having problems getting a NoCd to work, so someone created cd files (mdf/mds) to be used with a Virtual cd drive. The Sims2.mdf was only around 1 M in size.

This is what I was using, however now I am wondering how I could do this on my own. So How can I strip the files out (if creating a new mdf file for other games) while still retaining the file index (toc) when I open it up?

(i guess that's what i am trying to do)

Thanks,
    Joe

Last edited: Jan 18, 2005
  2. pollushon

pollushon Regular member

If you want to play your sims 2 game without the disc, whether CD or DVD you dont need to resort to illegal means, or a mini image, which is what your talking about. Download Alcohol 120% put the CD play disc or DVD disc into your drive and make an image. With the CD version select Safedisc 2x/3x datatype, with the DVD version simply select nothing and make an image. Mount the image in your VD......voila!

3. jchristl

jchristl Member

Well, that's one of the reasons I want to know how to create mini images. However, If I just create 'images' for the 20 or so games that I need it for, then I would be running out of hard-drive space all together.

Hence the desire for a mini-image. :)

4. pollushon

pollushon Regular member

Heres what you do, this has only proven to work with Starforce protected games and some safedisc. To make a mini-image you need to make a image read in Alcohol 120% using the Safedisc 2/3 profile, then save the original mds. (this is critical) Take the mdf and load it in UltraISO or isobuster and delete all the data off it as this is necessary to pass the safedisc check. If you have the latest UltraISO you can save the new image as a mdf, if not save a cue/bin file, trash the cue and rename the bin to mdf to preserve the readings. The resulting file will be tiny (eg 600kb, Mount it in your VD.

5. jchristl

jchristl Member

I can do that.

But I've seen .mdf's where there is 600Meg of data in the file, but the thing is only 1M in actual size.

When you open the file in UltraISO you can see all the CD stuff in there (all of it totalling 600Meg) but the actual files have been stripped out of the mdf itself.

Maybe it can't be done with UltaISO, but it can be done.

Joe

6. yblaze

yblaze Member

very simple. you use alcohol 120% to do it. first open it. make sure the game you want to make a mini back-up is in the drive. then, click image making wizard. make the data type safedisc 2/3. save it ne where u want. after that start it and as quick as you can click cancel and say yes u want to cancel. but then say NO to the second question (do wish to delete it?). After that u should have a small mini back-up of ur cd. btw i try to always make my cds get to 2% before i click cancel.

all this works for me and i hope it works for u.

7. jchristl

jchristl Member

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

8. yblaze

yblaze Member

did it work?

9. jchristl

jchristl Member

Yes it did, my friend!! :) I am one happy dude. Thank you for very much for that help.

joe

10. OAKside24

OAKside24 Regular member

Awesome. Thanks everyone, I was looking for a how-to for this. I will try also... ;]

11. yblaze

yblaze Member

yeah. and i found how to do this by accident!

12. OAKside24

OAKside24 Regular member

13. yblaze

yblaze Member

oh nice. very detailed.