1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Creating hd on regular dvd

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by rfox20, Oct 21, 2007.

1. rfox20

rfox20 Member

My favorite movie is Kingdom of Heaven. Its not available on hd-dvd yet. So here is what I did used dvd shrink to make a backup copy (saved to a folder instead of a dvd disk). Then I used ulead movie factory to create a hd dvd structure. The movie imported as a 24 bit 16X9 with 720x480 at a size of around 4.3 gig. I used the setting of 24 bit 16x9 with 1920x1080 and compression setting at 100 for greatest quality. After burning to a regular dvd I couldn't check it (wouldn't show up in the drive) but it would play in windvd
    but in my toshiba A2 it showed up as a hd dvd not just dvd and a resoultion of 1080i. The quality seemed alot better than the original at 480p and the upconverted backup dvd. After I get some double layer dvds I will backup with no compression in dvd shrink and use
    2pass in movie factory. Someone may have already done this but I guess it is an option with not many choices for hd backups yet. Also you don't want to rip as a avi it uncompresses at around 13 gig in movie factory.

2. rfox20

rfox20 Member

Just got some double layer dvds. I took star wars episode 1 (16x9) and used dvd shrink to rip to the hard drive. I left it uncompressed the size was around 6.8 gig. Put it in ulead movie factory and created a hd dvd. Put it in my toshiba A-2 it shows up as a hd dvd and plays as 1080i. The picture is real good alot better than 480p origional.

3. byngo

byngo Regular member

Surely a similar picture quality is acheived if you let the toshiba play the original DVD upscalled to 1080.