1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cromwell not allowing HD boot?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by Lorir, Sep 16, 2007.

1. Lorir

Lorir Member

Hi. Have tried to find an answer to this, but have now spent about 20 hours trying to get my xbox working with linux, so im hoping some kind person can help me!

Hardware: 1.2/1.3 xbox, with a duox2 cromwell edition modchip.

Problem: Cromwell only seems to give me the option to boot from CD/Dvd or network boot, after i've installed GentooX linux (several times just in case).

Long story of what i've done: Installed the mod chip ok (or so i thought), burnt a dvd of the gentoox home .iso image. Booted the xbox from bank0 (cromwell) picked the cd option, then didn't format the hard drive, and installed on e (no option for f or native), didn't choose the flash mod chip option. Installed fine (afaik), then rebooted, but cromwell only had the options for cd and network still.
    Then decided to reinstall and pick the format option. I now realise this was a bit silly, since i dont have a backup of my original hard drive, so i guess i wont be using it to play games on now? (only bought the box for linux anyway tbh). Drive formatted ok, then installed linux ok (afaik), rebooted, but still no option for linux boot.
    At this point i managed to knock my mod chip and spend the next 5 hours thinking i'd completely ruined my xbox trying all sorts, like hotswapping the drive to my pc (was getting error 16, guess formatting the drive was very stupid)...but then i realised the led wasnt flashing and resoldered a few connections to get it working again.
    After this is tried various CD's with various dashboards etc, but i cant seem to get a single one to work. I've tried a load of different xbox iso making tools, with no success.
    Then i downloaded xebian, burnt to DVD, but even this doesnt work (and the xbox dvd drives makes a horrible noise trying to load it).

So, at 1:30am, i've given up and decided to ask for help.

Thanks.

2. Lorir

Lorir Member

For future forum reference if anyone searches this:

Network flashed bank 2 of the mod chip with the EvoxM7 bios. Restarted xbox, and Gentoox started perfectly.
    If only i did this yesterday straight away!