1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CRTs vs LCD Widescreen

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by theonejrs, Mar 15, 2006.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

I'm starting this thread because LCDs always were a poor cousin to the CRT. I can't say that is true anymore! I just bought a Sceptre Naga III 20.1" widescreen. It runs at 1680x1050 and is amazing to see! Programs in other resolutions run with no stretching, just white borders on each side of a normal screen. I've watched (in order) Jurasic Park, Spy Kids 3 2D, The Moody Blues Live at Red Rocks Arena and the 1939 Robin Hood. I chose that one because it's in Technicolor which is a black and white process.

Jurasic Park was outstanding! Spy Kids 3 2D was the "Crown Jewell" It was a TRIP!!! The 3-D effects are unreal and without the penalty of glasses. Colors are like nothing I've ever seen before! At least not to the color level and color depth this Naga III puts on the screen. As intense as the colors were there was no bleeding and the picture was crisp and sharp. There's a scene where a hourse runs through water and you can see a rainbow from the spray it kicks up. Robin Hood was pretty amazing for being 60+ years old.

It has a a couple of minor anoyances as well. The indicators under the function switches are useless. They are carved out from the black below the controls. They are pretty hard to see, even with a flashlight! You have to be double jointed, knock-kneed and pidgeon-toed to get the power plug in with the monitor sitting on the desk. Oh Yea! Throw away the manual. It's almost useless! I would generously call it "Clear as Mud!"! The Monitor???

Buy one!!!!! I promise you that it will be one of the best purchases you will ever make. You will not be disappointed!

Very Happy Computering,

theonejrs

2. AE27

AE27 Regular member

I plan on getting Gateways 21" HD panel here soon. CRT's have pretty much gone away. Ive seen very few CRT's at computer or electronic stores. Flat panels have come along way.

3. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

AE27,

Take a good look at the Sceptre Naga III X20 widescreen. It gives you the best of both worlds. Effectively it gives you widescreen as well as any other resolution that the programing calls for without stretching. I live in California so I have to pay sales tax. Newegg has a $30 mail in rebate so the overall price is around $400. We have Viewsonic 19" flatscreens at my work and this one is so much better. Check it out at:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824112176

Happy Computering.

theonejrs

4. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

theonejrs
    did you try the dvi hook up? and is it better.?

5. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

theonejrs
    What setting on antiliazing do you use and do yuou use high quality or high performance setting?

6. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

baltekmi,

No I haven't tried the DVI. My 5200 8x AGP card doesn't have it. The PCI 5200 version I have does. It can wait for my next build.

I leave antialiasing to software control and my quality settings to a good mix of quality and performance. So far it works just fine. The quality of the picture at 1680x1050 has to be seen to be believed. It's a great $800 monitor for only $400 bucks!

Another small complaint! When running 1680x1050 some of my colors changed to pastels. It may be my Fx5200 video card though. This computer is schedualed for either an 800XL Ati or an FX7800GS AGP 8x video card. I'll find out then!

Happy Computering,

theonejrs

Last edited: Mar 16, 2006
  7. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

yea I was wondering why I could only get 1280x1024.. that is the max for my lcd monitor. So my bfg ultra is limited to that. But the specs are way higher. I need another monitor to use the full use of my graphics card.

8. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

so now we are in another thread, tell me this. You are running a 3.0 prescott w/zalman cooler.oc'd to 3.6. what are your temps.?

9. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

baltekmi,

I used to hit as high as 68C at 3.50 while encoding, now it only gets to 58C at 3.60. Normal idle temp is 47C. The Zalman 9500 is what allowed me to run at 3.60 and lower the temps in the process 10 to 15 degrees. When I build my AMD Dual-Core, I'll put the Zalman in it. De-Tune the Intel to 3.30 with the stock Intel cooler. Add a new AGP 8x video card and it will become my new Entertainment Center and backup computer. It should fit the new case as it's the same as I have now. I'm looking forward to the silence!

Happy Computering,

theonejrs

10. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

theonejrs ,i love my LCD also(per my sig) mine goes 1600x1200 res. and the picture is life like watching a movie or gaming

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I like the Viewsonic G90 CRT I have, partly because it will display 2048x1536 and was quite cheap. However, while it's great for gaming at any resolution, Word processing is not all that clear at any resolution above 1600x1200, because those are only 60Hz, 1600x1200 gives you 75. I do however use 2048 on occasions when I like to see lots on the screen at a time. Generally for £170 two years ago ($297) I think it's a great purchase, if bulky. I'll eventually get a VP201B or similar, when I have the money.

12. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

sammorris ,you will love the VP201b ,its rated one of the best LCDs on the market and i think there may be an updated model that runs 8ms mines 16ms but there no problems gaming with it at all

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah trouble is I won't be able to afford it for a good few months yet. Still at least that gets me the 8ms model instead.

14. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

mine was about 725.00 when i bought mine

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yeah, since I'm buying a new PC in the summer and going to university, that money just isn't around.

16. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

Yes it is the vidio card. I have had the 5200 and the 5700le and I had the same problems with certain parts of my vidio

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Generally the image quality of FX series (5) GPUs wasn't the greatest, and I believe the problems may have hit all the way up to the 5900 series, possibly even the 5950.

18. baltekmi

baltekmi Regular member

theonejrs, i have that problem with my bfg 6800 ultra. If i try to playback a ts file fron dvd clone 2, it is like that. But windows media player 10 playes it back correctly.
    Also what are the inportant things to look for in buying a new monitor. I want to go dvi, but what other critical thing i need to look for?

19. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

respone time is important 16ms or below (for gaming)

res. i like 1600x1200 so thats up to you

good brands Veiw Sonic are some of the best on the market ,some of there LCDs are down to 2ms

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The VX922 is pretty much the best performing screen on the market at 2ms, but that's 19" and 1280x1024. Another Good option is the VP201B at 20.1" and 1600x1200, I think that's 8ms.
    In general, avoid anything above 12ms, and ensure a contrast ratio of at least 600:1. Also avoid cheap brands, the picture quality is NEVER as good as a properly made monitor.