1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Current thoughts on mp3 ripping/encoding?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by kazoo, Mar 5, 2017.

1. kazoo

kazoo Member

Years ago I ripped and encoded my CD collection using the EAC+LAME setup. I would like to rip and encode the CD's I have accumulated since then. I briefly tried to migrate my EAC+LAME setup from my old Win 7 machine to my current Win 10 'puter with no success and much frustration. It seems most of the EAC+LAME info is quite old. So, what is currently the easiest way for me to rip and encode CD's to high quality mp3's? Thanks in advance...

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  2. Mez

Mez Active member

Your old set up is fine. I prefer dbPowerAmp but that is for ease and speed not for quality. They both will either deliver an exact copy or warn you of what went wrong. dbPA has more read modes so it is more likely to get by scratches than EAC. It is faster and more importantly, it builds an automatic set of folders. It stores all CDs of the same artist together keeping each album separate. That saves time and effort. It also fills in all the information for each track automatically with accurate information from the internet. You can probably rip your collection within the 30 day fee trial. That is even older than EAC but CDs haven't changed in almost a half century. It has a wide variety of top of the line codexs you can choose from. It is the top ripper but it is a paid for ripper while most are free.

3. kazoo

kazoo Member

Thank you, Mez! The one time I tried using my old EAC+LAME setup on my Win 10 64 bit Lenovo ThinkPad, I could not get it to run. I may give that one more try before checking out dbPowerAmp. If dbPA is more user friendly and a little hand holding is available if needed, I do not mind popping for the registered version.

4. Mez

Mez Active member

There is software that will work on XP and other 32 bit OSs that will not work on win7 64 bit. Maybe it just needed to be installed in 32 bit program file folder but is installed in the program file folder. I keep a legacy computer disconnected from the internet to run older programs. It is way too much work to shoe horn an old 32 bit application into a Win 7 computer.

I suggest just downloading dbPowerAmp trial version. You may like so much you might pay to keep it.

5. kazoo

kazoo Member

If I do not get EAC+LAME humming quickly, which would be my preference, I will certainly give dbPA a try.