1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom PC Built No Sound, Onboard Audio Refuses To Work

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Sorrow1, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Sorrow1

Sorrow1 Member

I Recently Built a PC everything works fine except the sound.PC specs)(Intel D865PERLK Socket 478 Motherboard) (Intel P4 Prescott 2.8Ghz 1MB Cache,800FSB SocN 478) (nVidia GeForceFX 5200 256MB AGP) (Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 OEM)(Ultra 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz CL3) (U.S. Robotics 56K* V.92 Performance Pro Modem). I also notice that this Prescott Processor is running hot never had that problem with(northwood),the only sound i do hear is aol dialing up through mobo speaker,onboard audio installs fine but refuses to work- it says headphones are plugged into front panel port,i have 2 sb Audigy sound cards installed, they show up in device manager as multimedia sound controllers with question marks by them and the sofware refuses to install it says its not detecting them.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

do you have 2 sound cards & if do, why?? if 2 sound cards than they are conflicting with each other so remove 1

3. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Also, go into your BIOS and disable your onboard sound card.

4. Sorrow1

Sorrow1 Member

ok i have tried all of that its not working, i moved back to my old pc and it was acting like it was'nt going to let me have sound either, but i finally got it working, i have tested both audigy sound cards they work fine, now ive got $1000 of useless computer parts to throw away.

5. ddp

why did you have 2 sound cards & does motherboard have onboard sound?? don't throw the parts away besides being stupid & wasteful as computer worked except for sound!!

6. djscoop

djscoop Active member

just as a side note, having two soundcards doesn't always mean they will conflict with each other. In this case it does because they are the same make and model. I used to DJ off of my computer, and I had a SB Audigy and a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. Even on my main computer now I have the crappy onboard audio, which I don't use, but is installed and enabled, and I have a Audigy, which don't conflict. The only time I've had problems with 2 soundcards is if they are the same brand, which is the problem you have now.

7. ddp

so that explains the loud noise i was hearing ever so often!!

8. djscoop

djscoop Active member

sorry man, I'll try to keep it down. lol

9. ddp

if it was loud here hate to think how loud down there!!

10. djscoop

djscoop Active member

lets just say I'd rather "enjoy" my music now, and be deaf when I'm an old timer. I like the feel the music along with hearing it...

11. Sorrow1

Sorrow1 Member

ok im not going to throw away the parts, i tried again to get sound no luck sound card is not detected i tried using onboard audio stand alone, both audigy cards work fine on my P4 3.2ghz NORTHWOOD the processor in the other comp is PRESCOTT could that have something to do with it? whats the worst case scenario new mobo and sound card? bios is also initializing slow now its taking about 30 seconds to do anything?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2005
  12. Sorrow1

Sorrow1 Member

I also have a brand new unused intel d865perll mobo, maybe i should try installing that one. i definetly think its a hardware problem.

13. ddp

try clearing cmos to see if any difference in startup but possibility that you might have 2 replace motherboard & don't mention trying to load 2 identical sound cards, just that the board is slow to post? & no sound

14. Sorrow1

Sorrow1 Member

ok i took out the audigy sound card and finally got onboard sound working, the processor is running very hot its at around (130 degrees F)and thats with pc at idle or (55C) it has a prescott core but should it be that hot,bios continues to act funny but what can you expect i shut the thing off in the middle of flashing bios but even after that it booted normal it was after i turned it on with only the SATA Cable connected to MOBO that it started booting slow.any suggestion or criticism would be appreciated.

15. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Re-flash the bios and do not shut it off this time. I think it would be safe to say that to correct a possible problem you need to start from scratch or a clean plate.

Re-flashing the bio will help to make sure that it is not the issue.

Prescott’s all run hot. It depends on your Case, CPU cooler, etc. to keep the temps down. That's why the Northwood’s are still selling. Try to find a P4 3.4 Northwood chip now. There aren't any. My idle temp on mine runs 31c to 33c and mine is O/C by 10%. So your Northwood is going to run cooler then your Prescott. Not to worry.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2005
  16. Sorrow1

Sorrow1 Member

I reflashed the bios to the original version that came on the board, i also took out cmos battery, still slow im not too concerned about the board, i had to buy 2 boards to get the right (I/O shield) for the stupid thing,thanks a lot INTEL, so i have a brand new back up. Im not installing it however until i find out why the Audigy card shows up in device manager but the software refuses to install because the card is not detected.

17. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Remove your card, use the default settings in CMOS, boot-up, make sure the card is no longer in Device manager then shut down,install your card, CMOS again to turn off onboard sound, then device manager to see what it shows?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2005
  18. ddp

possibility bios chip might be screwed to cause system to go slow, if possible do an rma on it

19. Sorrow1

Sorrow1 Member

Now this card is acting up in my other computer, i never had this problem before i built that pc, now its transfered over to my gateway, a lot of people have this problem though, it must be a driver issue or something, this card always installed after i reformat, so apparently there was nothing wrong with the pc i built but i freak out when things don't work the way they should. what is an RMA?

20. ddp

rma = return manufacturer authorization