1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Custom PC Built No Sound, Onboard Audio Refuses To Work

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Sorrow1, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Sorrow1

Sorrow1 Member

It wasn't until i changed the hardware that it started booting slow, i have a (WDC 80 GB HD) and a(lite-on dvd burner) installed currently, they are both masters of separate IDE channels, could it be i didnt configure a jumper correctly?

2. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Primary with HD set as master, black connector on back of HD and Blue on MB, nothing else on this ribbon unless you are using two HD's.

Secondary with Burner set as master, black connector on back of burner and Blue on MB, if anything else is on this ribbon, then of course it has to be set to slave.

Dumb question... You didn't load AOL 9.0 with viruse protection did you?

3. Sorrow1

Sorrow1 Member

Did not load aol 9.0 with virus protection, solved SB
    Audigy problem, found a web update for Audigy that updates drivers,havent tried it on this pc yet but it worked on gateway,programs have to be reinstalled manually however but no big deal,Bios problem also fixed I removed a stick of memory and pissed the motherboard off its booting faster than ever - for some reason these intel motherboards think they need to be in dual channel memory mode, I think its all about making the consumer spend more money on memory, i have 3 sticks of (DDR 400 MHZ) in another intel board and it only runs at (320MHZ) - You shouldnt have to be in dual channel mode in order for memory to perform at rated speed.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2005
  4. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Thanks for letting us know. It felt like everyone in this forum was in the waiting room with you and you were expecting, a PC I mean! :)

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try reseat that ram to see if go slow or not as might have bad ram

6. Sorrow1

Sorrow1 Member

I reseated memory in same slot it was in before, bios says im in (dual channel memory mode) again, bios still booting fast,finally got SB Audigy 2 working after about 6 hours of installing and uninstalling drivers for it, even if device manger shows driver is installed it doesnt necessarily mean you will get sound from card,apparently the drivers for the card are next to worthless, as i said before i never had problems with this card before i built this pc.
    problems im still having include:
    1)dial up sound still coming through mobo speaker
    2)processor runnuing too hot for my liking, ive seen it as high as (140F),at idle it seems to be between(105F-115F),it is a prescott and i wish it wasnt.
    3)Issues going into standby and shutting down,In standby mode procesor fan continues to run,Hibernation works fine though,sometimes when i try to shut it down it simply reboots.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2005
  7. Sorrow1

Sorrow1 Member

also heatsink fan appears to be blowing air towards processor, instead of pulling it away is this normal?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2005
  8. ddp

air always blows at heatsink not away. temp is normal for prescott as i have the 2.4 celeron version & right now is about 52-53c compared to my old northwood 2.4 celeron at 34-39c

9. Sorrow1

Sorrow1 Member

Ok everything is working fine now except dial up through mobo speaker and the solution to that is broadband internet access, I cleaned processor and heatsink and reapplied that silver compound,also dropped processor on hardwood floor some pins were bent but it booted fine got idle temps down about 20 degrees. Thanks for the input,as it turns out nothing was wrong with the pc.I know you people are tired of reading my posts so this will be the final entry for me.

10. ddp

did 1 with 57 posts so this is nothing & don't drop the cpu, butterfingers!!! teach & learn

11. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Sorrow1

He was actually being nice, just in case you didn't catch that. :)

12. Sorrow1

Sorrow1 Member

Ok one last post, If you build a PC and cant get SB Audigy to work, Its a driver Issue.

13. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Thanks Sorrow1 :)

Also for the record, since I've been building PC's, when has it ever been "Not an Issue with either sound or Video Card drivers? lol At least in the old days. :) Sometimes I used to wait to see what the big boys; Zeos, Micron, Gateway, Dell, were using together before I purchased the cards, letting them first work out their problems.

14. Sorrow1

Sorrow1 Member

This Is My first computer build,i was so worried about frying a componet that it took me 5 hours to assemble the thing. Also for the record that loud dial up sound is coming through a speaker on the modem card, any fix for that? or should i just break the damn thing off! Motherboard is not beeping after post either but it runs super fast so i will assume its no big deal.(Next time i will exhaust my options before freaking out and posting but i literally did not know WTF was going on,Assumed MOBO was fried.)At least i dont have to settle for that pre-configured crap from gateway anymore - what a rip off!

15. ddp

put a piece of electrical tape over the modem speaker which is usually black & has a hole in the center for sound to come out. there is a command line that will lower or turn off modem speaker so check manual

16. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Pipe it into your neighbor’s house! Just kidding :)

I would check properties of volume control under windows and see if under advanced it gives you a modem speaker slide bar and mute, then like ddp said, check under properties of your modem in device manager there also should be a setting for low, medium and high for the volume.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2005
  17. Sorrow1

Sorrow1 Member

Ok just one more Question the motherboard is not beeping after post but it boots fine and loads windows fast, when i remove a stick of memory it beeps after post at least initally it does,actually i get 2 beeps with only one stick of memory in, i havent tried multiple reboots with only one stick,i am not having memory problems,so the board is capable of beeping,when it was booting slow i removed a memory stick and it went back to fast boot, i put stick back in and it has booted fast ever since,so the corruption has been eradicated,(incomplete flashing of bios caused corruption) it didnt even beep the first time i fried it up - for the record it also booted fast on the inital booty,should i replace board? or not fix something thats not broken.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2005
  18. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Not every board beeps every time. Mine for example does not beep any more after Asus made a bios change. It only beeps when there is an error. It used to beep three times at startup and that was because I had devices in more then two USB ports, hence the change made by Asus.

Check your MB manufacturer and see what they have for beep’s, error's, etc. Don't fix what “ain't” broke! (At least not yet since it's always an option down the road.)

19. Nightlite

Nightlite Guest

Sorrow,
    I also just built a pc... with a motherboard from my son, his chip and memory... I had one thousand and one problems all different...He paid quite a bit for the memory last year and felt it was great... after spending money on a new mother board... that now needed a video card ( bought that) all that was the same was the processor and memory... bought new memory.. and then did a memory test... (memtest free program) with his memory and the new memory...errors errors errors... so I took out his memory.... try that...even though the ram is showing up there could be a problem with that. If that shows fine then you atleast know that is not a problem and it will save you money in the long run by deducting hardware problems..

20. Sorrow1

Sorrow1 Member

Ram shows up correct in bios, and works fine. I took ram out of dual channel mode(memory sticks are now in slots 1+2) and MOBO consistently beeps after every post now.(Intel boards should beep once after post),also the stand by mode with fans running is a windows xp issue, i uchecked the option for mouse to wake pc from standby and put pc in standby and fans stopped running.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2005