1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cut AVI in half (equal filesize)

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by eeye, Mar 18, 2004.

1. eeye

eeye Member

Hi @all

I ripped a DVD to DivX exactly as described in http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd2divx_anamorphic.cfm and the resultuing Filesize was 1400MB. Just what I wanted. But now I'm trying to cut this movie in half (two parts with each part about 700MB to fit on a CD). I did this several times with other movies as described in http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/cut_avi_with_virtualdub.cfm and normally its works fine, but this time I'm ending up with part1 about 810MB and part2 590MB :-(
    I tried something with the "Save segmented avi"-Option limiting the segments to 700MB, but for some reason I get only one file with again 1400MB. I also tried some Split-AVI tools without success...

Any suggestions?

Tnx in advance, eeye

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Yikes eeye, I've had some minor sound synch problems (usually with the second half) but just plain VirtualDub will chop your AVI in two halves. Sounds like you were on the right track, so do it again. Make the first part smaller this time - guess better. Use the running time, to help find 1/2 way. Trial & error is yer buddy, until you get it chopped just right.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]IT Technician BSc MCSA
    XP2500+Barton 512MB PC3200[/small]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2004
  3. gibbo123

gibbo123 Member

That has hapened to me as well and i ended up using avichop to split the movie.

With VirtualDub you select the amount of time to cut out of the movie, With avichop you select the amount of M/B to cut out.

Good Luck