1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CUTTING the dvds

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by vemon388, Jan 3, 2005.

1. vemon388

vemon388 Member

hey, i just got my viper chip and it works like a charm its the best thing ever (for my gamecube).

right now i have my case off and i am playing with full sized dvd's. I really want to put my case back on (i modded my leds) is it posible to cut the full sized dvd's to the 8cm gamecube size

thanx

2. westies

westies Member

I thought I read on the net that you could do it to CDs before you burn them, though I'm not sure. At ps2ownz (http://www.ps2ownz.com) they mentioned that the people who make the PS2LiD (http://www.ps2lid.com) will be making a Gamecube version so that it will fit fullsize DVD-R's. It would be best to just wait for that.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2005
  3. w00t!

w00t! Member

yes you can. either before or after you burn it, just make sure you dont cut in to the data area(the area that gets discolored when you burn it.) I actually made a device that spun the disc so you could shave it off with a knife!

4. shangrula

shangrula Guest

you'll have to be really careful. If the disc is slightly out of shape it could set a momentum that could really screw your drive over.

5. w00t!

w00t! Member

not really, it may make your drivw wobblr a bit but it will still read the disc, because the laser to structuraly attached to the disk mount

6. SuperTed

SuperTed Regular member

well I can tell ya cutting dvd's (discs) is something that CAN be done.
    But one big hint (btw. sorry for bringing back the old topic), use a good scissor (or however ya write it).
    I broke one of mine today cutting a CD.
    But after taking another to finish the cutting (making it 8CM) it played perfectly in my PC DVD-ROM Player.

7. cragster

cragster Regular member

would a hole saw work with a drill press and then sand the edges to make them perfect?

8. SuperTed

SuperTed Regular member

well don't know about that.
    I just used a scissor (well broke one so used 2)
    but I have a whole bunch of cutted cd's now.
    With just some photo's and stuff on there.
    And also device drivers

9. CLiPsEmX

CLiPsEmX Guest

Yeah I would just wait for the moddified lids or just buy mini dvds if you have the money. I recommend prodisc.

10. cragster

cragster Regular member

ill try the cutting a CD once i go to my friends ill try to cut my snes station cdr for ps2 ill tell what i get

11. vemon388

vemon388 Member

wow thanx guys for all out feed back even for this very old thread.

thanx alot
    l3vi

12. shangrula

shangrula Guest

has anyone thought about spinning the disc around and cutting it with a hot wire or knife? I sortof tried this method with a knife and it looked like it might work. I think i need a drill or dremal though, as just on a surface isnt good enough!

13. YM2151

YM2151 Member

Sure, it's possible, but realize the discs weren't designed to be cut like that. The edge of the disc has a plastic blank lip normally, but you'll be removing that. No sure that will matter. Another thing, you could be damaging teh structural integrity by cutting them which could cause the data to be damaged or decay. And ofcourse the obvious thing is if you don't cut it in a perfect circle, you will make the disc spin off balance which is not good at all. The worst that can happen from a disc spinning off balance ofcourse is it scratching the lens. Thats not all that likely but it's possible.

Really.. just buy mini dvd recordables or wait for a full size cover replacement. It's not worth the effort to cut down full size discs.

14. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

I like the hole saw idea. If you have a saw that is just larger than you need its perfect. You could then spin the disc and use a dremel or a sanding wheel to clean off the burrs and make sure it still ballance.

Or wait till they make the new lids.

15. Reliq

Reliq Member

all well and good till the liquid in the disc comes out...

before you start hatin...Yes, there is liquid in them, between the foil layer and the plastic layer.

this is crucial for the life of the disc, it will work, but not for long....I had this Idea a long time ago when I buil my "Milk Jug Jaguar"

16. soccerboi

soccerboi Guest

i have heard that the viper gc does not read the small dvds as well as the normal sized dvds, but you should try the small dvds first, then if that does not work well, cut the big ones. btw, how do you burn a gcm to disc? do you change the extension to iso or something?

17. vemon388

vemon388 Member

yeah dont delete the gcm make it name.gcm.iso