1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cutting wav files

Discussion in 'Audio' started by keep7925, Jun 30, 2003.

1. keep7925

keep7925 Member

Hey, I just had a quick question if anyone can help me. I was wanting to take some songs that I have put on my computer off a cd(so they're in wav format) onto mix cds and such, but there's some songs that are hidden tracks, and i just want the hidden track. So what is the best software that I can download for free to cut wav audio tracks while still keeping good quality?

2. minix

minix Member

CDWave will cut the WAV in the sector boundary. This way you won't have problems with silences/pauses between tracks if you want "continuous" tracks.

3. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

As long as no lossy compression (e.g. mp3) is involved, cutting and joining .wav files is a lossless process (-> "good quality" is kept).

Exact Audio copy has a "copy range" function that you can use for getting hidden tracks or parts of tracks directly from CD (with best possible quality in secure mode BTW).

Other Programs that split/join .wavs.

- Audacity (freeware wave editor)
    - SOX aka Sound Exchange (open source commandline wave editor)
    - Cool Edit Pro (fully functional 30 day trial version)
    - Nero Wave Editor (Trial version - or if you already use Nero anyway)

To avoid clicks at the beginning/end of the cut tracks you should cut at silent positions or let the program of choice search for (and cut at) zero crossings (Cool Edit is capable of this, about the other programs I don't know).

Last edited: Jul 1, 2003