1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyberhome DVD/RW nightmare

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by cyberhome, Dec 9, 2003.

1. redflower

redflower Guest

yes you need to finalize the disk, also before you record make sure you format the disk on video not vr

2. missb2424

missb2424 Guest

What I have found with my cyberhome 2500 is I can play the finalized dvd+r in my samsung dvd player, but if I go to play the dvd+rw it doesn't work even after I make it compatible.It may be that my Samsung won't read dvd+rw ,I purchased it three or four years ago, or it could be a problem with the CH recorder.It may just be a matter of the company fixing the problem.
    All in all as long as I can play back my dvd+r in a standard player, I am happy with it, since the r's are cheaper than rw's.
    I am using khypermedia dvd+r that I bought from ebay.

3. Eyes4u

Eyes4u Guest

I have 2 Cyberhome 1500 DVD recorders. I did not get them from HSN.One came from Wal-mart,the other from a pawn shop.They are both new. I have several Apex DVD players in my house and only one of them will play a DVD+RW disc.They all will play the DVD+R discs recorded on the Cyberhome.These same discs will play on my computer DVD-ROM drives as well. The make compatible button is for use after you have "hidden chapters" on your DVD+RW to make the players understand the TOC.If your disc is not manipulated,you should not have to use the make compatible setting. I haven't had any problem so far with either unit.I have used Memorex,Maxell and Sony DVD+R discs,4x speed.

4. adambomb

adambomb Member

i just got a cyberhome 1500 dvd recorder.....pick it up at wal-mart. i like it but i dont..........know what im saying. well......i got it working not sure how to use different dvd-r or dvd-rw's. when i got it i tryed to use Mexell DVD-R's/4.7//120mins & that will not work in the recorder but if i use the CyberHome disc that came with it,,, it will work fine........just wanna know if im using wrong dvd-r's or what. And if im using wrong disc which one's should i get and where can i pick them up at or can i do something dvd recorder to make them work? ohh.........one more thing do you have to finalize the dvd-r and dvd-rw before it will work in dvd player?

P.S. Some Help ME

5. adambomb

adambomb Member

How do you format the dvd on Cyberhome 1500

Thanks adam

6. max777

max777 Member

This is not related to your model, but I bought Cyberhome's cheapest DVD Player at Radio Shack (300 model I think) for $30 which claims to play everything. Well it did not play anything burned. I took it back, and will not trust anything from Cyberhome or Radio Shack again.

7. Eyes4u

Eyes4u Guest

The Cyberhome 1500 DVD recorder formats DVD+R discs without prompt from you. Just put in a DVD+R disc and it reads the blank disc and the word "format" comes up on the screen.Then it will show the title screen and the capacity of the disc.It will be 99% after format. You should at that point,on the remote,push the DVD-live button and it will default to the tv tuner built in to the recorder. You should set the record quality by using the set-up button to fit your disc. The sp mode is 120 mins.DVD+R discs have to be finalized when you are ready to view them on other DVD players.Everything I have ,Apex,Samsung,Toshiba,will play them. I have a Phillips DVD cleaning system that I use after burning to clean the laser lens of the Cyberhome recorder. So far,it works everytime.

8. Eyes4u

Eyes4u Guest

Adam,
    Unless this is a typo DVD-R,YOU ARE USING THE WRONG DISCS.The Cyberhome 1500 will record DVD+R and DVD+RW discs only. It will however, playback a pre-recorded DVD-R disc. There are so many DVD formats it is very confusing to say the least.DVD-R is one of the first recordable discs for computer burners.DVD-RAM is in there too.The DVD+R is the DVD alliance,a different group from the - series people.There are standalone players for the DVD-R discs too.Your Cyberhome 1500 will only record DVD+R and DVD+RW discs. The multi-format and double layer DVD-9 drives will be out in April of this year.The stand alone players we have now won't be compatable to burn the double layer DVDs.

9. adambomb

adambomb Member

Thanks for your help!!!..........No it was not a typo. i was trying to use DVD-R's is the cyberhome 1500.thanks for the info........once again. Onemore thing can i use any dvd+r or dvd+rw's(i mean name brand)?

10. Eyes4u

Eyes4u Guest

Adam,
    Glad I could be of assistance. I use Maxell,Sony and I bought a 25 pack of Memorex DVD+R discs 4x write speed. Your recorder records "as it is happening".There are no provisions for Dubbing as in a cd recorder.You are not intended to be able to "copy" commercial DVDs.It is mostly just for recording TV programs,archiving VHS tapes to DVD,and for use with your camcorder.The DVD+RW discs are finicky about playing on just any DVD player.I have 7 DVD players counting the computer drives and only one of the Apex players ,other than the Cyberhome recorders, will play the +RW disc.They do not require finalization to be able to play on other DVD players,but many will not recognize them.

11. adambomb

adambomb Member

Thanks...........for your help again? I have the dish and im going to just recorder off of that for now but if i go to like block buster and rent a movie(VHS) will CyberHome recorder it..............You have been so much help!!!!!!

Adambomb

12. Eyes4u

Eyes4u Guest

Adam,
    The problem with recording commercial "rented" movies is going to be the law.It is illegal in every sense of the word.Then, the problem with macrovision encryption that is an attempt to stop you from making illegal copies. The Cyberhome DVD recorder,as with any of them will record virtually anything that can be recorded. I set -up my recorder to dupe a VHS tape of a 1950's sci-fi movie that I purchased,thinking that it would not be copy protected.The macrovision encrypted on the tape sends a signal to the anti-copying circuitry in the DVD recorder and the letters CP come up when you hit the record button."CP" for copy protected and the record button is dis-abled. You can record from any source that has no copy protection,be that a DVD,VHS or otherwise.Another thing to consider at this point in the game would be the "current" capacity of the DVD+R disc.4.7 gigabytes is only enough to burn a 2 hour movie at"SP".This is NOT the full DVD resolution that would come on a Commercial DVD.

13. missb2424

missb2424 Guest

Hello,
    Just though I would let everyone out there know that Cyberhome.com has some new firmware updates for the
    ch1500, nothing yet for the ch2500 at least it shows that they are trying to answer all complaints.

14. missb2424

missb2424 Guest

Just an added remark, they have also put up what dvd+r and dvd+rw are supported by the 1500 I assume that they are also supported by the 2500, they have added other stuff too! check it out!

"Oh ye of little faith!"

15. adambomb

adambomb Member

I just wanna thank everyone for the help! Well i went to wal-mart today and pick up some DVD+R's and thay worked fine in the recorder. So, If i recorder a movies from the dish with the cyberhome 1500, could i put the dvd in a dvd player and use the cyberhome to recorder it again?

16. Eyes4u

Eyes4u Guest

Cyberhome has updated their site to include firmware upgrades for the DVR 1500.This will address the issue of being able to edit the title of DVD+R discs for one.
    You can record from a movie you have recorded in the 1500.You will in fact get a copy of a copy. You can set the quality of recording with the 1500 from HQ(1HOUR)SP(2HOURS) with provisions to put 6hrs on a single DVD+R. I did the update on both of my 1500's as finalization of a disc is different with the new firmware.Make sure you finalize any DVD+R discs recorded with the old firmware with the old firmware or they act up when finalized with the new firmware. I buy my DVD+R discs at Walmart in the 25 pack.They are Memorex.Recording to a "final" medium is much different that a +RW because the mistakes cannot be erased.Buying my DVDs 25 at a time makes the cost about $1.66 each but ruining a disc due to things that you can or can't control is still frustrating.

17. missb2424

missb2424 Guest

Can someone tell me how do I get the file for the firmware upgrade onto my cd, I have nero and I burn the 2500x file, when I put the disc in my recorder all I see on the screen is +000/ I hit enter and get nothing.
    Help!

18. missb2424

missb2424 Guest

Hello again, I got the file to work, now I can edit the title on the dvd+r which was quite frustrating.
    Another thing my samsung 709 will play the finalized dvds but not the rws, but they will all play in my sons playstation 2.
    Also something interesting, I used a code to make my samsung 709 region free and now I can backup dvds by playing the dvd in my samsung and recording with the dvr2500 without that CP notice coming on. I don't know how but it does.
    Just thought I would share this info.
    Byeee!

19. adambomb

adambomb Member

When i use the source,I was using TV, NOw, Im using Vidoe 2 but everytime i shut down the cyberhome 1500, it will not remember the source i put it on the last time. WHY?

20. k_DVD_K

k_DVD_K Guest

Howdy!

I have an entirely different problem with my DVR-2500.
    The built in tuner will only tune to 4 channels from my cable line, Channels 5,6,117,& 127! I've checked the recorders system setting and cable is checked off.
    I made sure that the auto tuning was activated after the cable setting was verified and still no luck.

Cyberhome's on-line tech support has been usless, as there only suggestion was to re-check the settings, which had already done at least a dozen times.

Anyone else out there have a similar experience?

Any reply would be greatly appreciated!