1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyberhome DVD/RW nightmare

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by cyberhome, Dec 9, 2003.

1. k_DVD_K

k_DVD_K Guest

BTW I forgot to mention that my Sony VCR which is fed the same cable line signal auto-tunes to all my availabe channels just fine!

2. adambomb

adambomb Member

Just wanna know if there is away around the copy propected DVD's..........If not do you guys think there will be away around some time.I was told that if you us a black marker and go around the out side of the inner part of the disc that it will not be copy protected anymore....................True??

Last edited: Jan 16, 2004
  3. k_DVD_K

k_DVD_K Guest

There is a work around. However, It might be against the the boards rules to post such information.

I never heard of this black marker trick, Maybe it works,
    but it sounds very iffy. I wouldn't trust it.

Are you planning on backing up disc you own?

4. Eyes4u

Eyes4u Guest

I have 2 Cyberhome DVR-1500 recorders as I have mentioned before.The one I purchased from Walmart, after recording a television program last night,gave me a "no read" symbol and the DVD loader locked up. I tried everything,powering off the unit,unplugging the unit,but the loader would not come out.Walmart has a 90 day warranty on this product and that came in handy last night as I had to return it.Cyberhome's website is back up but they proved to be no help.There is no way to get help from them after 9 P.M.The only thing to do was return it to Walmart and let them deal with Cyberhome.When I bought that unit from Walmart,I paid $376.00 for it. Walmart has discounted them to $248.So I got a plesant surprise at the check-out. This new unit appears to be working properly,but time will tell.
    What tech-line to Cyberhome are you using ? (anyone)

5. k_DVD_K

k_DVD_K Guest

I called CyberHome directly and used the support form at their website. I called into a tech support voice mailbox.
    no reply. I did get a email reply to one of my help request, which was useless. One of those "check you settings" deal refer to page blah blah of your manual etc.
    Like I hadn't already tried that.

Good Luck!

6. Veblin

Veblin Active member

7. Eyes4u

Eyes4u Guest

I did try the solution mentioned but it is for initial set-up.No dice. That player has given me trouble even before this incident.It would sometimes burn a DVD+R and then right after not be able to read it.This is before finalization,which is now, not possible.The loader had made some noises,but never locked up before.No one close to my location to attempt repair and it waited until 9:30 at night to break down.It would void the warranty for me to attempt repairs.Sending it to Cyberhome would probably get the same unit fixed or replaced and tie up weeks in the process.Walmart has a 90 day warranty on this unit was glad to take it back and replace it with a now cheaper same unit.These recorders are becoming more common and they are less expensive. They will really go down in price when the single side DVD9'S and the new burners come along in April.

8. adambomb

adambomb Member

IM LOOKING TO BUY A SIMA-COPYTHIS OR COPYMASTER PLEASE E-MAIL ME AT adamaustinbomb@yahoo.com
    I KNOW ONE OF YOU PEOPLE OUT THERE CAN HELP ME................THANKS ALOT!!!!

9. renderman

renderman Guest

Against the advice of some on this thread, today I purchased the DVR 1500 at Wal-Mart for $248.00

Like most of you, I wanted a recorder with all of this models features, and at a good price. I tend to support the underdog, so I bought the recorder.

After removing the unit from the carton (which was well packed), I thought the look and feel of the 1500 to be not cheap at all. In fact, its weight suggests quality.

Everything was fine until I went to look for the power cord.....missing! I packed it back up and got another unit at Wal-Mart (hassle).

First thing I did was try and play my computer burned DVD-R discs. No problem.
    I burned a DVD+R and it came out fine.
    The tuner works, but I have not burned from there.

For me, the +RW disc compatability is moot. I only will be using the +R discs. BTW, the disc I burned played great on my Sony NS300 player.

So far, I am very pleased. My unit does not get hot, either. Oh yeah, I think the blue illumination of the standby button is way cool!

I like this forum, and I hope it stays active!

Bob

10. Eyes4u

Eyes4u Guest

I took the unit I had (1500)back to Walmart, 9:45 at night.They gave me a little hassle.One of the girls working there did not know of the 90 day warranty.The new unit already has the firmware upgrade and everything works great.This unit also does not have the heat problem the other did and the loader operates very smoothly.I believe the first units had problems they have started solving with the newer ones.Cyberhome,I believe, will be in on the next generation of DVD9 recorders,so the DVD5 units we have now are going to have to be up to par.

11. adambomb

adambomb Member

Last week I got a Poly Tron-Video Stabilizer off of ebay. WORKS
    GREAT!!!! I went to Block Buster and picked up some new movies that
    came out on DVD.(Under World & Once Upon A Time In Mexico) Recorded
    them just fine on the CyberHome 1500. Now, Ebay will not let the
    dude sell anymore on ebay.(Not sure why)I know why cuz you can
    recorder any DVD with this thing. So...........This guy want me to
    spread the word around about his item. If anyone would like one it
    will $50+5 shipping.(not a bad deal at all)Take my word this thing
    works well.I have DTV hooked up to Video 1 & DVD player hooked up to
    Video 2.All you do is run the Video from your DVD Player to the Poly
    Tron Video in & out from the Poly Tron to the recorder
    (CyberHome). For Audio all you do is run the Audio jacks from DVD
    player to DVD recorder(CyberHome).Where ever your Video is Video 1
    or 2.Which ever is best for you. Please e-mail: adamaustinbomb@y...

P.S. I will have to have this guy mail it to me and than i will mail
    to you A.S.A.P
    if you buy one and like it please pass the work on...........Thanks

12. renderman

renderman Guest

To update my original post about the 1500, I made some off air recordings from the onboard tuner. I used the provided DVD+RW disc from Cyberhome. The video and audio output quality is superb!

Unlike some of you, to my surprize, the RW disc PLAYED JUST FINE in my 2 yr. old Sony player! Did not use "make compatible" or anything. As can be expected, I am totally pleased with my unit! As of yet, can't find anything wrong.....

Gee...can I really be this lucky?

Bob

13. k_DVD_K

k_DVD_K Guest

I have a question for adambomb. Is your Poly-tron device a little black box with one input & one output?

If it is I also purchased one from another seller on ebay about a month ago (item # 3069048719)an paid only
    $15.95 + $8.50 for shipping. I figured for that price what could I lose. I got the device within a week since the seller is right in N.J. where I'm located.

I'm still using my Sima device which I'm very happy with, so the poly-tron is a spare. These devices turn up on ebay pretty often, but the prices tend to run in cycles depending on what a potential seller sees as the demand. I got a great deal so, it pays to do your homework and shop around.

I put this forth again, is anyone having any issues with the 1500/2500 onboard tuner? Mine still will not auto-tune properly. And yes, I have made sure that all my settings are correct. Otherwise I quite happy my recorder.

14. renderman

renderman Guest

In regard to the member who's tuner will not autoload all the channels, the only thing that I think would be in system setup there is a choice for cable or antenna input. I doubt it, but perhaps it is set for antenna?

Try the firmware updates on the Cyberhome webstie.

All else would be a defective tuner, I guess.....

15. k_DVD_K

k_DVD_K Guest

Nope! All my system settings are correct. Tech support is pretty much non-existant far as I'm concerned.

16. renderman

renderman Guest

17. Eyes4u

Eyes4u Guest

That sounds like a defective unit.I have 2 of the Cyberhome DVR-1500 units. The first one I bought came from Walmart and it cost over $300. That one started not recognizing discs that it burned and one night it did that and the loader locked closed. I went to Cyberhome's website and tried everything it said.Nothing worked.9:45 at night,I took it back to Walmart.The first girl I spoke to at customer service told me it was out of warranty.I explained that the warranty was 90 days.She had to call in another assoc. to verify what I was saying. They looked it up after 30 mins of trying and guess what,I was right.They gave me my money back and since the recorders have gone down,I got a real nice bonus as well.I emailed Cyberhome about the problem and they wrote me back a solid week after I had solved the problem myself(by replacing it ). Right now ,until Cyberhome gets itself together,I would take a defective unit back and not wait around for them to email or call.You will be effectively burning up your warranty time and if it is like my incident,a firmware upgrade will not help.

18. missb2424

missb2424 Guest

Hello,
    I have tried Comp USA discs and they didn't work, but I would be interested to know if those generic discs on ebay will work, so far I have had luck with Memorex.
    I own the ch2500.
    See Ya
    Missy

19. renderman

renderman Guest

Hello Missy,

I may have wasted my money on the discs?... but to me it is worth a try. We'll report back to the forum one way or the other when the discs arrive, and I can try them.
    From the sellar's feedback on ebay, sure looks like he sells lots of dicsc! Both +R and -R. If (I hope!) the units record/play ok, that will help me lots. Upcoming project requires that I burn 30 copies. If they perform ok, then I can increase my profit margin and reduce cost for media.

Bob

20. renderman

renderman Guest

I have the Cyberhome DVR 1500, which for me, performs flawlessly.

When not using the recorder, should the unit be powered down using the on/off switch on the rear? Or, should the recorder remain in the standby position? There are times when my unit will not be used for a week or so.....however, powering on from the remote is handy.....what is best for most users?

Bob