1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cyberhome DVD/RW nightmare

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by cyberhome, Dec 9, 2003.

1. missb2424

missb2424 Guest

Hello Bob,
    I never shut off my recorder, I do use the standby,I don't know what the best way is, but my husband says that they put the shut off button in the back for a reason, he thinks it is so users don't turn it off just use the standby, oh, by the way, have those dvds'come in yet?, and if they did how are they?, to my surprise the other day i recorded some movies on the CompUsa discs that weren't working, but they recorded very nicely, I don't know why.
    I still like the Memorex which have given me no problems what so ever.
    The recorder is working fine for us also, it creates a duplicate just as good as the original, I am very happy with it so far, don't know what the future will be as with most electronic items, well time will tell, I have had this unit since Dec 2003.
    I'll be waiting to hear about those dvds.
    See 'Ya
    Missy

2. southwest

southwest Member

To the guy who is having a problem getting the auto channel thing to work. Go to system works and go to channels and change the settings from the default of tv/ant to cable and you will be able to get all cable channels instead of the local 13 setup. Also "adam bomb"; Where do we get the link or email of the guy who sells the poly thorn thing on ebay or whatever??

3. adambomb

adambomb Member

E-mail me at adamaustinbomb@yahoo.com.The guy cant sell them on ebay nomore

4. renderman

renderman Guest

Hello Missy,

Like you, I have decided to leave my recorder in standby mode when not in use. Besides, I like the blue illumination of the power switch!

Regarding the "white box" DVD+R discs, they just might arrive today...I hope before the weekend. I e-mailed the seller about the media code. He could not supply that information. However, he insisted that the discs are high quality and most likely will work in my recorder. He said the discs are Sonic brand, which doesn't help very much. This ebay power seller has sold tons of these generic discs, and just about all the feedback about the seller is positive. We shall see! One good thing is that incompatible or poor media cannot harm the unit. If these discs work in my recorder AND my Sony set top player, then that is good enough for me. I have several friends with many different brands of players that I can test my recorded media. It is my hope that I can distribute these to my clients. That is my ultimate goal. For backup, I can always use the -R burner in my pc, if necessary. I can't wait to give these discs a test! For anyone interested, here is the link to my seller on ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ViewItem&item=2780834759&category=44929&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWN%3AIT&rd=1

I bought these based on the seller feedback, and the fact that he has been selling this media for some time....

Bob

5. renderman

renderman Guest

I forgot in my last post to say that I will report back to the forum my test results immediately when I receive the media.

Bob

6. renderman

renderman Guest

7. k_DVD_K

k_DVD_K Guest

Thanks to all that responded to my post regarding My auto-tune problem. Please keep in mind that I have the correct system settings saved & the tuner still pulls in only channels 5, 6, 117 & 127! My other devices that have a built in tuners tune just fine when connect to the same coaxial cable signal.

For those out there interested in purchasing any the many available devices that can aid you in "backing-up" your own copy-protected commercial disc, Please do your homework & research the device/model you have in mind as well as the prices.

I found that the prices can vary wildly, so it pays to shop smart.

Peace,

-K-

8. renderman

renderman Guest

Got e-mail from dvd seller that my order had been returned for unknown reason, and was shipped again today. Please allow 5/7 for delivery....was disapponted, but will have to wait.

E-mailed another buyer, and he said the discs work fine in his HP300 burner, and playback in 3 tested desktop players. Also, the recording side of disc is the highly recommended purple.

Will get back with my test ASAP.

Bob

9. tommyzax

tommyzax Member

Hey y'all. I bought a Cyberhome 1500 in November from Wal Mart and it worked great for the most part. I have only had one +R disc fail to record... this is normal from what I understand-- there is a certain percentage "fail rate" you have to be willing to risk when you record on just about ANY DVD recorder. But one thing bothers me: sometimes a +R disc will not "finalize." I finalize each disc the exact same way, and most finalize just fine (you can tell because when you press "edit" after a finalization process, the ol' circle-and-slash symbol comes up in the corner, meaning your finalization was successful), however I have had a few that won't finalize no matter how many times I try, or what "tricks" I employ. Has anyone ever had this trouble and if so, did you ever find out the solution? Or is this also considered part of the risk of recording DVD's? It's only a problem if I want to play the DVD on another DVD player, not if I want to play it in the Cyberhome. Any help would be appreciated!

10. whospobox

whospobox Member

I bought a Cyberhome 1500 from Frys last month.
    Everything seems to be OK except the audio is low.
    I use the 2 channels stereo option.
    Both the TV pass thru audio or the recorded DVD audio are at about half of my other video equipment, such as VCRs.
    When I play the recorded DVD on other DVD player, I have to increase the volume on my TV to twice as much as a regular CD-ROM movie.
    Do your guy have the same problem?
    Should I get an exchange?

11. renderman

renderman Guest

To Whospobox,

Yes, when recording with the 1500, audio output is low when using the onboard tuner. I would say that my unit's output is about 35% down. Some report audio/video sync problems as well. Sync is not a problem on my unit. Everything else works ok, so this flaw I can live with. I don't plan on recording from tv tuner anyway. Substituting a vcr tuner, and using the a/v in/out jacks would be my fix for this. Seems strange that the manufacturer overlooked this! One would think that they would test every function of the recorder before releasing it to the public. I installed the 2 firmware upgrades, so perhaps there is some improvement, but I rather doubt that has anything to do with this issue. Seems odd that line level audio from a tuner would be low. Line level audio fed from a vcr tuner appears to be ok, and other line level sources test just fine....I don't get it!

12. Eyes4u

Eyes4u Guest

When you say the disc won't finalize,is a circle slash coming up and the player can't read what It just recorded ? I have had some troubles this way.I understand this to be a DVD compatability issue.I think there is more to it than that. I was trying to put a VHS tape onto DVD (no macrovision) It burned the disc but then could not read the information just burned.A circle-slash came up over the reading box in the corner of the tv screen.The display on the player said error. That was a DVD+R and it is lost forever.I had to take one of my players back to Walmart because it could not read ajust burned disc and the loader locked-up.Cyberhome is getting better but the information about problems like this is slow getting to you.There is another upgrade for servo problems available on the cyberhome website.I have not heard of these type of problems with some of the other recorders.The Apex DVD recorder seems to be having less trouble breaking down.I had one of the earlier cyberhome players when they first came out.The designation on the serial # ended in P.The other ended in X.My P series is the one that went back to Walmart.If you feel that you have a defective player and you have the time left on your warranty,you could seek help from cyberhome,if not take it back,this is something Walmart is getting used to with cyberhome recorders.

13. tommyzax

tommyzax Member

About the finalizing problem, I did have two types. The first is the one you mentioned...I had the DVD+R burn from non-Macrovision VHS (it won't record Macro no matter what anyway) but it would not read and then it tried to re-format but came up circle-and-slash, and then the DVD+R got locked inside cuz I couldn't get the door to open...I did bring that back to Wal-Mart for a refund. The second type of non-finalization happened with both my first Cyb 1500 and the second one I picked up: I burned the DVD+R as usual and everything was fine-- all data was recorded, chapters set, etc-- but when I went to finalize, the Cyb went through the process and time of finalizing, but did not. When I tried to re-finalize, I got the message "Done" within a few secs, but it was not "done." I think it might be a problem with the DVD media since it happened with both machines, but I was wondering if you or anyone else has experienced this, and what solution, if any, was found.

14. picknup

picknup Member

re: cp any search engine will find DVD Shrink, a particularly nice piece of shareware which will reauthor a commercial DVD to 4.7 G with no cp and no visible audio or video degradation. Unfortunattely this is for computer based recorders and won't help you with your stand alones.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2004
  15. Eyes4u

Eyes4u Guest

I am glad not to be the only one to have this loader lock-up problem.I took that player back.The new one already has the upgrade that is available at the cyberhome website.I haven't checked for the servo upgrade.I have only had a non-read problem,so far I get finalization without problems.I had the non-read after burn situation come up last when I was using Sony DVD+R blank media.I usually use memorex in the 25 pack.I had one of my cyberhome recorders do it with the memorex media just once.I sent an email to cyberhome about this over 2 weeks ago and I haven't received a reply.Your only recourse in that case is to return the player,get your money back and find another brand. (if possible where you are)As we all know DVD+R stand alone recorders don't have all the bugs worked out yet.We have the first generation of lower cost stand -alone DVD recorders and there are certain to be some problems left.DVD is still an imperfect format.When the first vcr machines came out,they were big, bulky and expensive.Now the ones I have are stereo hi-fi 4 head and they are lightweight,efficient and cheap.The same thing will happen to DVD recorders.The DVD9 recorders will be out soon.These will be able to get more gigabites of information on a single side due to the dual layer.The burners we have now will not be able to burn both layers.These will go through some of the same problems we are having with ours now and be expensive as well.

16. kbeck98

kbeck98 Guest

Just bought a cyberhome 1500 on eBay. Thought I got a really good deal until I saw it at Walmart.
    Anyway, so far it seems to work fine, except that I can not read the Disc (+R or +RW) on my Toshiba SD-1009.
    It may just be too old. I am using the Cyberhome +RW and the HP +R discs. I tried both, HQ speed and SP speed.
    Any comments?
    Kurt

17. tommyzax

tommyzax Member

A lot of older model DVD players cannot read anything except prerecorded DVD's. I have an older JVC like that. Did you remember to finalize the +R?

18. kbeck98

kbeck98 Guest

Yes, I did.
    Thanks for the reply.
    I can always just start using the cyberhome1500 as my DVD player, since it has Progressive scan, and my Toshiba does not, and I am playing on an HDTV ready set.
    One just wonders, if future DVD players will play the cyberhome recordings, so I can start converting all my Laser discs and handycam tapes to DVD. Would be nice.

19. renderman

renderman Guest

A few days ago, I was writing to say how pleased I was with the 1500. Well, now I wonder if I should pack up and return my unit like the others have....?

Most of my work is under 1 hour, so I prefer to use the HQ mode. I Recorded a 1 hour video with the Cyberhome +RW discs provided. Playback was good until about the last 10 minutes. Audio and video began to stutter randomly. Powered the unit down, let it cool, then replayed the disc......same thing. Next, erased the disc, and recorded a 2 hour video using the SP mode. Much better, but still a couple of stutters toward the end.

Is the problem with the media? Or, as I suspect, is the data rate at HQ too high for the player to handle?
    Can someone give me an answer, please?

Like others, beginning to feel that I bought a real piece.....Are the more expensive name brand machines any better? This sucks! totally disappointed. I almost feel sorry for Wal-Mart...it's not their fault!

How can we get through to CyberHome for some answers?

I think CyberHome needs to recall all these units, and replace the firmware or whatever.....class action or what?

Bob

20. kbeck98

kbeck98 Guest

Just a question to those of you who have been successful in playing the Cybehome disc on a regular DVD player:

What recording quality do you use (HQ, SP, etc).
    Thanks, Kurt